How Soon After a Mommy Makeover Would I Be Able to Attend my Daughters Basketball Game?

I'm 5'9", weigh around 165 and am 34 years old. I have 4 children who are all involved and active. I hate to miss anything my kids are involved in. How long after surgery before I could sit through a 1 hour game in bleachers?

Spectating after Mommy Makeover

+1

Hi there-

Assuming that your procedure will involve a Tummy Tuck and a Breast Enhancement procedure, here are my thoughts... 

In my practice, I would say that you should be able to watch a game as soon as a week or 10 days after surgery provided that:

• Someone else drives you there
  • You don't mind others at the game watching you walk slowly and with assistance and wondering why
  • If it is possible for you to attend while not exerting yourself or lifting anything heavy
  • Your attendance does not violate any of your surgeon's postoperative instructions

Please understand that this is going to depend heavily on the details of your procedure, which brings me to the most important point-

The only one who can responsibly answer this question for you is the surgeon you are trusting to do your procedure. 

I think that often women ask these types of questions on this site instead of asking their surgeon because they are either embarrassed to ask them, or they are reluctant to "bother" them...

Believe me, I would much rather a patient interrupt my day with a phone call or email than to have them do something I would prefer they didn't because some doctor on the internet who doesn't understand what I am going to do to that patient told them they could...

Please ask your surgeon what they are comfortable with you doing.

How Soon After a Mommy Makeover Would I Be Able to Attend my Daughters Basketball Game

+1

Without knowing exactly what parts of a Mommy Makeover you are going to have, I will assume you are having a breast lift and a tummy tuck. I think after 2 weeks you could go but you will likely still be tired and not feeling 100%.

Julio Garcia, MD

Recovery after a mommy makeover depends on your activity level

+1

Sitting for one hour after a mommy makeover (tummy tuck and breast lift/augmentation) will probably be okay 5-7 days afterward.  Driving to the event should be okay after a week, and I usually allow my mommy makover patients to exercise starting 4-6 weeks after the procedure.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover and 1 hour kids game

+1

If you have someone to drive you there, you may be able to watch a game as early as a week.  You cannot drive while you are taking pain medication and cannot drive when you are in pain. See a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area for his/her specific limitations and precautions.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

You Can Attend Your Daughters Game At 2 Weeks.

+1

We allow most of our patients to increase their activity level at 2 weeks after a tummy tuck. If your recovery is uneventful, and you have clearance from your surgeon, you should be able to sit in the bleachers for a one hour game. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable. Enjoy.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Recovery afte mommy makeover

+1

Most patients are ready to return to work within 2 weeks after a mommy makeover, some even after  a week.  You should be able to sit in the bleachers at your daughter's basketball game within 2 weeks after the surgery, or even a bit sooner.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Recovery?

+1

Your dedication to the children should be commended. However, you are about to undergo a major operation and should plan for a  recovery period  with potential physical and emotional ups and downs.  I would suggest staying away from the bleachers for at least 3 weeks after this major surgery.

Some words of advice I give my patients may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.