After MM 2 Wks Ago Why Do I Wake W/ Extreme Burning in Upper Abs Every Morning?

I had a MM 2 wks ago, TT/BL/BA & umbilical hernia repair. Every morning when I wake up I experience extreme burning in the center of my upper abdomen on both sides close to my ribcage, and it worsens if I stretch. The best way I can think to describe the feeling is that it feels like someone is pushing a branding iron into the area and it last for about an hour after I wake up. Is this normal?

Totally Normal after Tummy Tuck

+2

Don't be alarmed, your body is just getting used to its new surroundings.  The burning, stretching feeling in your upper abdomen can be related to the tightening of the muscles as well as liposuction in that area.  The reason it hurts in the morning is that you are relatively sedentary when you sleep and then you wake up and start moving.  The tissues of the upper abdomen that are healing and still swollen are being stretched and moved and that causes pain.  These sensations will gradually improve until one day they will be gone...

Burning in Abs 2 Weeks after Mommy Makeover

+1

Burning in abdominal muscles 2 weeks after mommy makeover is a reasonable body response to the plication of the abdominal wall.

Burning Upper Abdominal Area after Mommy Makeover Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on having undergone the mommy makeover procedures.

At this stage in your recovery the symptoms that you describe are quite commonly reported. You should find that these symptoms will gradually improve. What would be of concern is if  you continued to have this degree of discomfort that you are describing, longer-term.

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you more precisely.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the long term outcome of the procedures performed.

Post Operative Burning

+1

Thank you for the question. You are very early on in the healing process. There is a significant amount of swelling and scarring taking place as your body tries to repair itself from the surgery. In the morning your abdominal muscles are tight form the inactivity, however as you begin to move and stretch you are stretching not just the muscles but the scar tissue that has formed. 

As your healing process continues the swelling and the scarring process will abate and you will begin to feel normal again. This is a gradual process that may occur over months. You will notice that there will be more good days than bad as your healing progresses and that the bad days will not be as bad as previous. At some point you will realize that the burning and any other abnormal sensations will have resolved.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD