How Much Will I Be Able to Do After Mini Facelift Surgery?

I'm looking at having a mini facelift and vacation in Florida. I'm in my mid-40s, in excellent health and heal well. I want to bring my son with me but if I'm unable to do anything it will be really boring for him. Will I be able to, for example, go for walks on the beach? Throw a ball with him? He would only be with me for three days post-surgery because he has to go back to school.

Recovery after mini facelift in Los Angeles

+1

The recovery from a mini lift can be very simple, or may require quiet recuperation,

depending on the complexity of the surgery. I would likely take off a few days to recuperate.

A non surgical option is Ultherapy.

Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Activities After Mini Lift?

+1

Thank you for your question. So much of this depends on you, how fast you heal, as we see such a variety in healing rates depending on the individual, even though the surgery is identical for all practical purposes.  We have had a physical therapist go back to work in 10 days after a mini facelift, but this is not typically recommended.  Too much activity and swelling will start again, and or a suture separation.  The goal is to heal, not to injure yourself trying to recover quicker, or be as active as is possible.  Your recovery is as much dependent on you as is the surgery. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

General Guidelines for recovering from a Mini Lift

+1

While the recovery from a well performed Mini Lift tends to be quicker and easier than a full facelift, it is important to follow what your surgeon tells you after your specific case. Some people will need more time to heal or may have different restrictions based on their health and occupational activities.

Pre-operative preparation is just as important as what you do after the surgery - so make sure to be clear on this as well.

The following is a general guideline for recovering from a Mini Lift:

Days 1 & 2: rest as much as possible. Small walks are good for circulation. Hydration is important. Will feel tightness along cheeks / ears.

Days 3 thru 5: gradually increase activity to include longer walks but limit any lifting to less than 15 pounds. No bending over and keep head elevated at night

Days 5 thru 7: for most patients this is the time where they feel pretty good - the key is not to push themselves yet. Keep activity limited and by this time icing can be stopped.

Days 7 thru 10: stitches will have been removed or absorbed by now. Most patients will have only mild pressure in the face or numbness but overall feeling quite well.

Days 10 thru 14: light lifting is okay and head does not need to be elevated anymore.

Days 14 and forward: for majority of patients this is the time to resume full and normal activity.

This is just a general guideline and every patient is different. So follow with your doctor what your plan will be. We call our patients everyday to guide them individually though this process - after many years of doing Mini Lifts I have found this to be the best way to go for the patients and myself.

We also have patients fly in from other cities or countries and I advise them to stay in town for a week, enjoy the city in a relaxed way and then head home once I clear them.

Kamran Jafri, MD

Best to avoid activity until cleared by surgeon

+1

Hi Wendy, It is not suggested for patients to return to activities until several days after their “mini” facelift procedure to prevent complications and reduce swelling.   For the Atlanta and Southeastern patients that undergo my Band Aid Facelift procedure, I typically suggest they avoid rigorous activity until cleared at a follow-up appointment a week following their procedure.  Though this type of procedure does reduce the recovery time required compared to a traditional facelift, it’s best to speak with your prospective surgeon as downtime will be affected by their individual technique.

John L. LeRoy, MD, FACS

If you commit to surgery, aftercare must be a priority

+1

If you decide to have surgery, you must make the commitment to take care of yourself properly.  If you don't you will experience increased swelling, risk of infection, and delay in your recovery.  And this is the case no matter how young and healthy you are. Surgery is an induced injury to your tissues, and it must be respected as such.  You must allow yourself proper time and environment to heal, or else complications will occur.  I have my facelift patients take it very easy for one week after surgery until sutures come out.  Perhaps light walking or easy daily activities around the house are fine, but more than that is discouraged.  Once the sutures are out, they can begin to get out a bit more, but they still may have some swelling and bruising for another 3 to 7 days.  I don't want them doing anything strenuous or activities involving bending or stooping for about a month.  Don't tempt fate.  If it's not a good time to have the surgery because of family responsibilities, set your priorities.  But don't try to multi-task on the surgical recovery.  You may be sorry.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Activity after a mini-facelift

+1

I am afraid that you and your son will not have any opportunity to "play" in Florida after your surgery. You will need to take it very easy for at least 1-2 weeks or risk the possibility of bleeding and wound healing complications. Many of the patients in my Florida practice travel from out of state to have procedures during their vacations. I do make sure that they all understand that it will be an indoor resting vacation. Also keep in mind that you will need someone to take care of YOU during those early post-op days.

Diana L. Elias MD

Diana L. Elias, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Activity 3 days after a facelift should be limited. I usually advise very little activity during the first week to keep the swelling down. After that, go for long walks, exercise bike at a moderate pace. You may want to discuss this with your surgeon to choose a better time to have your procedure. Regards.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Activity Restrictions after Mini-Facelift

+1

As with any surgery, activity restrictions in the early healing process are required. For a mini-facelift, this includes any activity that would significantly elevate the heart rate or blood pressure.  Light walking is generally ok, but more rigorous exercise is not recommended. The other concerns involve sources of infection -- this would eliminate the possibility of swimming (both in the ocean and in a pool). Please confer with your surgeon before proceeding with any activities. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini Facelift Recovery Guidelines

+1

I recommend that for the first week after your procedure you only partake in light activities.  Short walks on the beach would be satisfactory, as long as you keep yourself protected from the sun and do not go in the ocean.  Any other activities which may cause you to exert yourself would not be suggested.  Physical exertion will lead to elevations in heart rate and blood pressure.  These elevations can lead to the postoperative bleeding, and hematoma formation.  This a complication we all seek to avoid.  Therefore, light activities would be allowed but physical exertion is not recommended.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minifacelift and Activity

+1

In general, a minifacelift has the potential to cause a hematoma after surgery.  Thus, increases in blood pressure should be avoided for at least the first week.