Nasolabial Folds After Mid-Facelift

I am 52 and had a mid-lift Facial procedure with upper and lower eyelid Blepharoplasty with Co2 laser of lower Eyelids and upper lip done 2 weeks ago. I still notice some nasal labial fold sagging from the sides of my nostrils to the corners of my mouth. Will that get better as I heal? If not, what can be done? Everything else looks ok, but I'm not to happy with that.

Facelift correction of nasolabial folds.

+4

A facelift has minimal effect on the nasolabial folds.  I typically take some of the tissue that I have removed from the facelift and place it in the nasolabial fold sulcus.  Fat transfer is also possible.

Tal Raine MD FACS

Soften the nasolabial grooves with soft tissue filler

+3

Hi CatTac1889-

Generally speaking a mid-facelift will not soften the nasolabial fold. The mid-facelift helps soften the area over the bony rim of the the lower eyelid and the area just below. Fillers help soften the nasolabial groove. 

Sincerely,

Tom Kaniff

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is no surgical cure for the nasolabial fold.

+3

Dear CatTac

Midface lifting and face lifting are incapable of flattening the nasolabial fold.  Of course this has not stopped surgeons from trying.  The effects of these endeavors is to surgically distort the face.  Some surgeons harbor the mistaken belief that their surgery can benefit this area.  It is important to understand that eliminating the nasolabial fold with fillers or surgery will distort the face.  Fillers will soften this feature and that is about right.  Dr. Bandy is absolutely correct-these are not going to get better.

Midface lift

+3

Every physician is different in their techniques and every patient has unique anatomy, but my experience has been as follows:

Facelift or mid facelift may improve, nasolabial folds, but will generally not alleviate them entirely. 

Fillers are generally the best option.  Often, when a facelift is performed, excess tissue that is excised may be placed beneath the nasolabial folds after they have been undermined by your physician. 

Juvederm, Radiesse, restylane, etc are synthetic fillers that are effective at effacing the folds, but they have varying longjevity. 

To my knowledge, there is no universally accepted technique at permanent alleviation of these wrinkles.

Fillers are a great temporary fix. 

Good luck

Jason R. Hess, MD

Fillers may be required to improve Nasal Labial Folds after Mid Facelift

+2

The best Mid Facelift cannot eliminate the Nasal Labial Folds.

While the Mid Facelift can plump and rejuvenate the cheek, the Nasal Labial Folds are primarily caused by the contraction and pull of the facial smile muscles which of course continue to work and pull after the Facelift.

Fortunately filler injections with Perlane or Radiesse can plump the cheek further and help lessen, but not eliminate, the Nasal Labial Fold appearance.

Of course you will need to wait 2-3 months for recovery before having fillers placed.

Facial swelling from the extensive procedures you had may be accentuating the folds at present so wait and see they may improve

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Face Lift, Mini Face Lift, The Palmer Celebrity Face Lift, Beverly Hills Face Lift

+2

2 weeks is awful early from the Face Lift, Co2 Laser and eyelid surgery to make a final evaluation of your results.  If you had micro-lipo of the NLF's to reduce the fat in that area, it can take up to 3 months for the residula swelling to finally resolve.  Give yourself several more weeks at least for this swelling to subside.

2 weeks is too soon to judge results

+2

It is a bit too soon to judge the final results after a mid face lift in 2 weeks.  There is still some edema and swelling going on.  I would hold off on final judgement.  The other thing that works very well is a semi-permanent filler such as Radiesse.  It lasts over a year, and really gives a good pick me up in the melolabial folds.  I find that the conjunction of lift + a little Radiesse is an awesome combination and really rejuvenates the entire midface area.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tincture of time and injectables

+2

You need to give your face some time to heal. Unfortunately, it won't matter because you will still have the nasolabial folds. They get better with a midface lift but they don't go away. Facial fillers have a definite place in this situation. Discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeron to see which is best for you. I hope this is useful for you. Jon Sattler, MD, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora, California

Jon Sattler, MD
Glendora Plastic Surgeon

Proper expectations after mini-face lift.

+2

Nasolabial folds can be obliterated by a through facelift with FAME, which stands for Finger Assisted Malar Elevation.  But that's not the surgery that was done here.  More and more people are having abbreviated procedures and that's appropriate for 40's and 50's.  But the expectations have to be abbreviated as well.  Two weeks after surgery is too early to judge anything, but don't close the door on the use of dermal fillers later for the nasolabial folds.

Ritu Chopra, MD

Nasolabial Folds after Midface Lift

+2

A midface liftt will improve the nasolabial folds. Normal post-op swelling will cause the appearance that concerns you. Wait 2-3 months to see if this improves. If there is no change, submit photographs which will help us make suggetions re treatment.