After Liposculpture, Day 1 Looked Great, Day 7 I Could See All the Fat Coming Back

I had liposculpture on outer+inner thighs, hips, and arms one week ago. On Day 1 the thighs looked good, 7 days later, I can see the fat coming back to the areas which it was removed from (making me look pear-shaped, where as on Day 1 I had no bulges out of my thighs) Could this be water-retention? I've had enough time to let the swelling subside. Is it normal to see better results on days 1 and 2 than days 7 and 8? Am I looking at having a 2nd procedure?

Fat "Returning" after Liposuction

+1

What you're noticing isn't fat "returning" to an area (in fact there is no way adipose could regenerate that quickly, as liposuction physically removes adipocytes rather than just shrinking them like traditional weight loss would. What you're noticing is your body reacting to the trauma and manipulation in the area by swelling. By wearing your compression garment as direct, you'll help resolve this process more quickly. 

Timing of liposuction swelling

+1

What you are describing is exactly what I would expect.  I actually have my patients return at 7-10 days so I can reassure them that this is normal.  From week one to two the swelling is peaking and you should expect significant but gradual improvement over the next 6 weeks.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Final liposculpture results after 8 weeks

+1

I tell my patients that they need to wait for a minimum of 8 weeks after liposuction to begin to see their final results.  The more aggressive the liposculpture, the more time needed to allow swelling and fibrosis to resolve.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Different results 1 and 7 days after liposculpture

+1

the results you report are not unusual and certainly does not mean that the fat that was removed is returning.  Almost certainly, this represents postop edema which comes and goes after surgery.  Please try to be patient!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling after Liposuction.

+1

What you have experienced is not unusual;  patients will report increased swelling one week after surgery. It will take several months for the swelling to dissipate and up to one year for the skin to  redrape  so that you can see the final result.

Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon with any unusual signs or symptoms and to address questions and concerns.

Swelling after liposculpture

+1

it is very common to be more swollen a few days after liposuction than the first day. The swelling takes time for the body to absorb and most of it should be gone in about 6 weeks, but the final result might take 6 months or more.

Julio Garcia, MD

Laser Liposuction Best Results

+1

Yes, patients often look better just after the procedure then the following week.  One really starts to appreciate improvement at one month but wait 6 months to see final results.

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

If you have concerns, please check back with your surgeon.

+1

If you have concerns about your results, check back with your surgeon.   If your procedure was done by a skilled and experienced doctor, he/she will be in the best position to give you answers to your questions.  It take some time to see the final results.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposculpture vs. Liposuction

+1

Patients who undergo liposculpture have liposuction.  Whats the difference between liposuction and liposculpture?   Fat is removed by different techniques:  LASER, suction, ultrasound, etc.  The inventors of the various forms of the removal claim their form of fat removal is less "stressful" to the tissue, less "traumatic" and ensures less downtime and more rapid healing.

Consider this:   the less surgery you perform, the less healing that has to occur, and the faster the return to daily activities.  Therefore the more surgery or more invasive surgery that is performed will give a more noticable result.   Whatever form of surgery that is performed creates local tissue injury.   The local tissue injury results in immediate post-operative swelling.  The swelling which is part of the healing process takes time to resolve.   It is not uncommon for patients immediately post-op to have less swelling than they do one week after surgery.   For the most part, patients who undergo liposuction need to wear post-operative girdles and garments to help control the post-operative edema and swelling to facilitate more rapid and controlled healing.  

HANG IN THERE! 

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after liposculpture

+1

Post-lipo swelling is common for the fist 3-4 weeks. Fat did not return. It usually takes 3 days for third spacing or swelling to occur after surgical trauma. I recommend my patients to wear the fist stage compression guarment 23 hours/day for the first 7-10 days followed by the second stage guarment for an additional 6-8 weeks to minimize swelling and to support the skin as the healing proceeds. In my practice, I also manage the post-op healing actively with keeping the patients active, daily post-lipo care treatment for the first week, diuretics and short course of steroids for swelling. I also actively detect and manage seromas which are fluid collections in treatment areas common in liposuction. It may take up to 3 months to see reliable results.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon