How Soon After a Breast Lift and Implants Can You Go Without a Bra?

Bra or no bra

+1

I do no think the brea does anything. The only reason why I have patients wear one is to keep loose gauze inside just in case of oozing or staining.

Going without a bra after breast implant surgery: depends on the surgeon

+1

This truly depends on what is being performed. In some instances you can go without a bra immediately if this is acceptable to the surgeon. In my practice, I commonly allow patients to go without a bra after 72 hours.

Going without a bra after breast implants

+1

I recommend that my patients wear a bra most of the time for the first six weeks post-op. The long-term benefits of bra wearing are less clear cut. However, common sense would tell you that an unsupported breast and tissue will sag or stretch more from gravity over time than if it is supported by your bra. I would recommend following your physician's recommendations regarding wearing a bra.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Duration of Wearing Bra after an Breast Augmentation and Lift

+1

Regarding  "How soon after a breast lift and implants can you go without a bra?" 

Since your healing will not be complete for up to 4 months and the tensile strength of the scar will never match that of non-operated skin, when would you feel lucky enough to test your wound healing against gravity and the bounce of your new breast implants?

Breast maintain their attractive shape when they are supported as much as possible. If they are not they sag and operated breasts will sag faster.

So as regards your "are we there yet?" question, I would refer you to your surgeon but keep asking yourself - how lucky do you feel and how much of a chance do you want to take?

Going without a bra after breast lift and implants

+1

As soon as your surgeon allows it. Over the internet we all have are own preferences. Mine is 6 weeks but I have heard some docs allow no bra at 3 weeks. ONLY follow your surgeons advise.

From MIAMI DR. B

Wear a bra for at least 6 weeks after combined mastopexy and augmentation.

+1

Hi Anna1965.  It is very important that you wear a bra 24/7 for at least 6 weeks after mastopexy with augmentation.  Remember that the augmentation is working against the lift.  The lift is trying to fight the effects of gravity and lift the breast; the implant added more weight to the breast and thus the effects of gravity on the breast are amplified.  This pulling of gravity on the breast will obviously work against the lift.  The bra will counter this "pull" on the breast.  By wearing the bra, you will reduce the effects of gravity on the breast.  I have my patients wear a snug sports bra for at least 6 weeks, day and night.  Even after 6 weeks, you should wear a bra as much as possible.  It will not do your lift any good to have you "bouncing" around.  Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Postoperative care is highly variable following breast surgery

+1

Postoperative the bra helps to hold and keep things controlled.  How long is this required? no one knows for sure but you will get a lot of different answers from plastic surgeons.  The best thing to do is to work with your surgeon and ask his/her advice.

Best Wishes.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon