How Soon After Lasek Surgery Should I Consider Unilateral Ptosis Surgery?

How soon after Lasek surgery should I consider unilateral ptosis surgery? I had severe astigmatism in one eye, I think caused by this congenital unilateral ptosis, which is now corrected. My eyes were dry after lasek, but now getting better 4 months later. Second part of the question is how good will symmetry be? Would it matter much that I took so long to get this corrected? Would Herring's law have more effect because of this? I have attached a photo of my eyes Thanks in advance

Usually 6 months after LASIK

+1
Unilateral ptosis can be corrected about 6 months to one year after LASIK if you don't need enhancement. The reason is dry eye that develops after LASIK can get much worse with ptosis repair. Yes, Herring law is very important in repairing unilateral ptosis, so there are few things we do to evaluate for evaluating if you are lifting the opposite eyelid more to help lifting the ptotic eyelid. one example is that we close the ptotic eye and see if that makes a difference in the level of the other eyelid. Usually when you are only using one eye to see the herring law id not in effect. The symmetry of the eyelids are very well achievable.
 I have to emphysis on making sure to be evaluated for your dry eye as well prior to your ptosis surgery. 

Reston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery after LASIK

+1

I recommend you ask your ophthomalogist this question as they would be the most likely to have accurate information.  Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon for your eyelid surgery/ptosis repair

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon