OK to Touch my Face After Juvederm?

After Juvederm injections, is it standard practice to massage the injected area, or am I supposed to avoid touching my face? The reason I ask is the nurse who did my injections said not to touch my face but I've read a lot of answers where doctors suggest massaging the injected area.

Let your physician do the massaging after Juvederm

+2

After Juvederm injections, your physician will likely massage the areas treated during the office visit. Unless otherwise instructed, you should not do any further massaging of the areas on your own. If something appears to be out of place or lumpy in appearance, return to the physician who injected you for assistance.

Tarrytown Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm

+1
I recommend you do not touch or massage the treated areas yourself. It would be best if you book a follow up appointment with your injector in 1-2 weeks, and he/she can massage any residual lumps or bumps at that time.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Juvederm and touching

+1

You certainly can touch your face after juvederm injections. I would avoid pushing on it for any length of time because that could displace some of the material.

Massaging right after Juvederm typically done by injector

+1

The injector typically will massage (or mold) the area right after injecting. It’s best if you do not massage. You can put some ice on the area but there should be no reason for you to massage. If concerned, see your physician and/or injector.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Massaging After Juvederm

+1

After the treatment, I like to run my finger (with gloves) over the areas injected and inspect to make sure it feels smooth. If I feel any small lumps or bumps as I do this, I then like to massage them out myself. I prefer my patients not to massage or rub the areas otherwise you might displace the product. If you notice an area of overcorrection or lumpiness after you leave the office and cannot return to your doctor, then I would call your physician and discuss it with them. In that case, they may permit you to massage it yourself. In general, it is not a problem to touch or wash your face gently as part of your normal everyday routine.

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Juvederm face massage

+1

Usually, the injecting doctot does the massage/moulding after the injection while you are still in the office. The patient is not supposed to massage the injected area. However, touching the area, face washing, creams...etc are perfectly ok.

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Massaging Juvederm

+1

Immediately after the injections, you should not touch the face with your fingers unless you've just washed your hands to avoid an infection. I will use my gloved hand to run my finger over the area and inspect its smoothness after the injection but massaging is done to flatten lumpiness. If the appearance is good then you should not massage otherwise you might displace the product. If you notice an area of overcorrection or lumpiness after you leave the office and can not return to your doctor, then massaging may help.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Massage after Juvederm

+1

This depends on the results and location of the injection. Around the tear trough, I commonly ask patients to massage the areas to promote a smooth and subtle result. However, I rarely advise this after injection to the lips. Occasionally, if patients expereience unexpected lumpiness, I may be more agressive about asking them to perform massaging exercises.

Touching is OK, massage is a no-no after Juvederm

+1

If you massage Juvederm shortly after injection (even for a couple of days), you can move the product around. Touching the face with normal activities is generally not a problem though. If you develop a visible bump, massage can be used to flatten the bump. I would agree with Dr. Aldea -- touching is ok, massage is not.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massaging Juvederm Augmented Areas

+1

I would not go as far as forbidding my patients to touch their faces, engage in whistling, kissing etc - but I would prefer that you do not actively massage the Juvederm augmented areas. If you think about it, after carefully enhancing that area's anatomy and 3D appearance repeated massaging and compressing the area is very likely to destroy the created effect.

To summarize - Touching is OK - Massaging is not.

Dr. P. Aldea