After Juvederm the Area Between my Upper Lip and Nose is Huge and Swollen.

I had Juvederm injected yesterday to treat the vertical lines that formed when I puckered between my nose and upper lip. The area is HUGE(and bruised). It looks like I have cotton balls stuffed up in the area between my lips and nose. Will this "swelling" dissipate? Is this normal? Also, I now know I should've avoided Nsaids, Vit E etc but didn't. What can I do NOW to help treat the bruising quickly? Thanks! K

Swelling and Bruising after Juvederm Injection

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

Swelling and bruising following injection of Juvederm into the vertical lip rhytids is quite typical, and especially in someone who has recently been on NSAIDs.  You are very early in the peri-procedureal period. I would recommend icing fairly regularly for the first 36 hours following the injection.  Additionally, you may want to try Arnica Montana as an additional measure to assist with the bruising. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Swelling after Juvederm

+1

Your result is quite normal and common after Juvederm injection to the upper lip region.  It will all subside and settle over the course of the first one week's time.  Sometimes Arnica Montana tablets make a difference in the post treatment period for bruising and using ice to the area for the first 48-72 hours.  Bromelein also helps for the swelling in the region...but the bottom line is you just need time.   It will settle and look very natural in 7 days and you should expect 6 months of improvement at least.  Dr. P

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

If Juvederm is injected, there may be swelling

+1

If Juvederm is injected, there may be swelling. I wouldn’t worry about it being over corrected. I would, however, go see your doctor if it’s really huge and very badly bruised. If after a couple of days it still seems overcorrected, it can be treated with hyaluronidase

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling after Juvederm Injection to the Upper Lip is common

+1

Swelling in the first two days after Juvederm injection is common. Applying ice over the area for five minutes at a time each hour for up to the first 24 hours can help minimize swelling. A natural supplement, such as Arnica, can also help reduce the amount and overall duration of bruising. 

If you continue to be concerned about the level of swelling, you should contact your doctor immediately. 

Jen Yuan Chow, MD
Pasadena Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Juvederm

+1

It is very normal to have swelling after injection of a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm or Restylane - especially in the lips. It is difficult to get the results you desire in vertical lip lines by injecting filler into them - the result is often lumpy. Botox can help relax the muscles that create the pucker lines

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

+1

You gave few good quality before and after pictures. Your swelling and bruising is not bad for one day. Just be patient.  It will be OK in a few days. I don't think ice will help much after a day. Time alone will take care of it.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Swelling of lip

+1

When a filler is placed into  lip lines, the area can get quite swollen and quite possible bruised. I would give it soem time to settle down. This may take a week or more.  Good luck.

Juvederm - Large, Bruised, Swollen 1 day After Injection to Lips

+1

Dear black and blue duck lady.

I know this is easy for me to say - but don't worry!  This will settle down on its own over the next few days.  There can be quite a bit of swelling and bruising with any injection anywhere, but particularly with the lips.  This is not surprising since there's a lot of blood supply there (ever have a small cut on the lips and see how much it bleeds compared with other parts of the body?). 

Not surprising, maybe, but also not pleasant.  However, with some compression and cool compresses (not too much or too cold - you can actually give yourself frostbite) it should help the swelling go down.  Which of course it will on its own anyway.

And you should not hesitate to contact your doctor about this, just for additional reassurance.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Swelling after Juvederm Injection

+1

The bruising secondary to bleeding will resolve. Ice packs will help. Massage will smooth out any irregularities caused by the juvederm. You have to be patient  - I know this is difficult after a procedure that normaly causes minimal down time.

Swelling and bruising after Juvederm - try Arnica

+1

This swelling usually subsides after 48-72 hours. Applying ice may help. Also consider taking oral arnica montana, available at health food stores, to help decrease bruising.

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon