After Invisalign Treatment, What Type of Retainer Will I Get?

I was wondering when your done with the Invisalign treatment , I know you get a retainer and usually it is a clear retainer that looks exactly like invisalign. I heard that the metal Hawley retainers are best for when you are done with the treatment. Could I request that I want a metal retainer instead of a clear one?

Invisalign Aligners can be used as retainers

+3

Invisalign Aligners can be used as retainers once the alignment is corrected.  For many patients, a nigh time wear of the last aligner can be sufficient for a number of years.  For others, especially those who clench their teeth at night, a more sturdy retainer will be necessary.  If you are a clencher (Bruxer) at night time, then a type of Night Guard appliance may be indicated which can also serve as a retainer for your teeth.  Your orthodontist or dentist can recommend the best type of retainer for you based on your individual needs.  There are many options.

Denver Orthodontist

Clear retainers after Invisalign treatment.

+3

In most patients, clear retainers work great to ensure that beautiful smile will last for a lifetime. Sometimes a wire attached to the inner surface of the front teeth is used to provide additional insurance that positon of the teeth will not change. Teeth have the potential to move whether or not orthodontic correction has been done. So protect yur investment - wear your retainers as your orthodonitst suggests!!

Mercer Island Orthodontist

The choice is yours

+3

Traditional retainers (with wires) CAN be made, but most people going through invisalign chose it for the "invisible" aspect. So normally a clear retainer that looks similar to the aligners is made. It is made of a more durable material, so just using the final aligner as a retainer will not hold up in the long term.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign vivera retainers or a fixed bonded retainer are options

+3

Invisalign offers a great retainer program after the completion of your treatment. the Vivera reatiners are similar to the invisalign trays but more rigid. The first month it is suggested you wear the retainer all day and night and then can switch into night time use only. Most patients find this program very easy. Another option is a bonded wire bar behind the teeth but drawbacks are plaque retention and difficulty in flossing. I have also seen teeth move with these retainers.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Retainers after Invisalign.

+2

Hi Melody

Yes you could request a traditional retainer rather than an Invisalign one.  Best to discuss this with the treating dentist before you start so you can be aware of any differences in fees beforehand.

Many people prefer the wire retainer because if they are cared for,  they can last for years.

Good luck!

Dr. Alper

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Retainers after Invisalign

+2

As you can see there are many options to choose from.  My preference is using Invisalign retainers or the Invisalign Vivera retainer system where you get 4 retainers 3 of which are shipped directly to you, over the course of the year.  This way you have a fresh retainer year round.

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Best retainer depends partially on initial tooth position

+2

Just like any other orthodontic treatment, the use of retainers is required to maintain the tooth movement with Invisalign. There are many types of retainers including fixed wires on the inside of the teeth, removable acrylic and wired retainers, as well as Invisalign-type retainers. Generally, you will be asked to wear the removable retainers full-time, for a certain duration, followed by indefinite periodic nightly wear. Patients commonly ask how long they should wear retainers for... the best answer is “as long as you want your teeth to stay straight!”.

Invisalign offers a product known as Vivera Retainers. They can be made from your last stage of treatment, or from a new impression. The material is slightly harder and more durable than Invisalign’s aligner and they can be incorporated with fixed lingual retainers. Subscriptions are available where the first aligner is fitted in the office, with 3 more retainers delivered to your address every 3 months. Please note that Vivera subscriptions may not be included in your treatment fee. On a positive note, with proper care, these retainers can last much longer than 3 months.

Toronto Orthodontist

Retainer choice after Invisalign

+2

There are a number of options for Invisalign retainers but most often the patient wears a clear plastic tray at night. Invisalign is a good option for uncomplicated orthodontic cases and for alignment prior to cosmetic dentistry.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Most of the patients choose clear retainers.

+2
There are many different kinds of retainers. In our office, most of the patients choose clear ("invisible") retainers, which are included in the Invisalign treatment price.
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Absolutley, your dentist can help you with the most apropriate retainer for your needs.

+2

The invisalign retainers while they are a good choice they are not the only choice of appliance to retain your teeth.

In addition to a traditional retainer, a night guard can be fabricated to serve a dual function, retention of your straight teeth and protection from grinding and parafunctional habbits.

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.