How Soon After Hip, Thigh, Butt and Flank Liposuction Should I Start Getting Deep Tissue Massages and then How Often?

I am 42, so I am wanting to do all I can to reduce the look of lumpiness and the get the optimal results from my surgery. I am still a little bruised, numb/tingly and sore in the treated areas. Should I still move forward with a deep tissue massage and then from there, how often should I get massaged?

How soon after liposuction should deep tissue massages begin and how often?

+1

In my practice we generally recommend postoperative massage and ultrasound treatments to begin 1 week after liposuction. These are provided in-house so there is quality control and patients are comfortable because they are familiar with the setting. Depending on the number of sites and the amount of postoperative sweeling we recommend 4- 6 sessions on a weekly basis. I find that patients are very happy with these treatments and find them very helpful.

Web reference: http://drlefkovits.com

Tissue Massage after Liposuction procedure

+1

I recommend doing lymphatic drainage about a week after surgery. Then two to three weeks post-op we like our patients to do Endermologie.  Endermologie is a treatment using a machine that smoothes the skin. We started combining this with liposuction about 10 years ago and have found that the results were better post-operatively.

Deep Tissue Massage after Liposuction

+1

There is very little evidence that supports deep tissue massage after liposuction. No proper studies have been done to demonstrate a specific treatment schedule. If you wish  to consider have this treatment, it would be best to discuss with your own plastic surgeon who can give you a better idea of when to have it done.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Massage threapy following liposuction

+1

Massage can help in in mobilizing post operative edema and help smooth out areas which feel or look lumpy after liposuction.  However, I would wait until the bruising has subsided.  this may take three or more weeks.  Check with your surgeon to see if and when they would recommend deep tissue massage.

Web reference: http://www.VincentLeporeMD.com

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Massage and liposuction

+1

I dono commonly recommend deep massage after liposuctin although I knwo several doctors that do.  You should confer with your surgeon as to his/her policy,

Massage after liposuction

+1
I am not a fan of deep massage after liposuction and certainly not of endermologie which can cause skin puckering and stretching. Discuss your intentions with your plastic surgeon and follow his instructions. Sometimes, less is more. Healing takes time and active measures are not always beneficial.

Massage and liposuction

+1

It sounds as if your are still very early in your post-operative period since you still have some bruising and soreness.  I would suggest that you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon -- he or she may have a specific timeline in mind as to when it is safe to start massage therapy.  However, once you have recovered, massage therapy can help with lumpiness or uneven contours; I have observed in my patients, that many cannot tolerate deep tissue massage until about the three week mark.  Good luck!

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Massage is good.

+1

If you have uneven contour massage or endermology can help.  I would start when the are is not to uncomfortable to massage.  Also discuss this  with your doctor.

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscocosmetic-surgery.com/

Liposuction Aftercare?

+1

Considering that you are still early out of your surgical procedure I think it would be most appropriate and respectful for you to ask your plastic surgeon his/her preferences regarding deep tissue massage etc.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_liposuction.htm