Is It Possible To Refill Implants Inserted Through Armpit Years Later Without Replacing Them?

I had mine done in 2008. I know they are not busted or anything but can tell that they have gotten smaller. Is there a way to fix this without having to pay for new implants?

Not usually....

+1

Unfortunately revision breast surgery is generally not successful when performed via the arm pit. You will likely need new implants anyway if any significant increase in size is planned.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Implants to refill

+1

First, the implants placed through the armpit make it more difficult to approach from that area for a revision. Second you should probably have new implants instead of trying to inflate them, besides it is not recommended to overfill them more than the max recommended by the company.

Breast Augmentation Revision through Axillary Incision?

+1

In my hands, the type of revisionary surgery that you are contemplating is best done through a incision on the breasts. This incision allows me to adjust the breast implant pocket under direct vision.

If your surgeon has significant demonstrable experience with the type of surgery that you are contemplating then you should feel comfortable proceeding.

Refill Saline Breast Implants

+1

It may be hard to do without damaging the implants, but if the implant can be removed trough the arm pit, then more saline may be placed in it. However, most saline implants have a fill range of about 50 cc. So check with your surgeon about how much saline can be placed and if it will make a noticeable difference.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Difficult

+1

It would definitely be almost impossible to remove, refill and then reinsert through armpit.  You did not state what ccs your implant range is - so that would alo limit the possibility if you wanted to go much larger than the implant range allows

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Implant Refill through Armpit

+1

It is my opinion that this would be extemely difficult. It would mean that your implants would have to be removed filled, deflated outside, replaced and refilled to a higher amount. It would be near impossible to get to the filling port thru the armpit while the implants are in position to add saline while they are on the "inside". If the implants had been placed thru the inframammary approach (bottom of breast) then this would be doable in my opinion. The other limiting factor is your implant capacity and at what level they may presently be overfilled. Each saline implant has a limited overfill capacity.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon