After Giving Birth my Doctor Sewed my Labia Minora Together. What Can I Do? (photo)

They're sewed together through the middle, wearing tight jeans is uncomfortable and sex is out of the question for fear that they will rip if stretched. I've gone to dr's to try to figure out how i can get fixed but no dr wants any part of this they wont even look to see the problem. I dont understand why no one will help me it's not my fault they got sewed together. Also every dr i talk to has never heard of this happening, im just trying to figure out how to get them deattached from eachother

Labia problems

+4

HI,

Wow, I am sorry to hear about what happened to you. It is very hard to tell exactly the problem from the pictures that you have posted, but it is probably something that can be fixed relatively easily by dividing the labial adhesions in the middle and then re-arranging the remaining labia to close the open area. This will result in smaller but more separated labia. If you look for a plastic surgeon who performs labiaplasty, he or she will probably be able to help you.

All my best,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Bridge In Labia Minora Post Pregnancy

+2

I am certain that your doctor didn't intentionally sew your labia minora together, but tears of this tissue at the time of delivery can be on both lips directly across from each other.  This then leads to a fusion of the two sides inadvertently. 

I am very sorry you have been unable to find a physician willing to separate your labial fusion.  I believe if you seek out a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon experienced in labiaplasties, he or she will be happy to assist you in this simple separation of the fusion and reconstruction of your two separate labia. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Repairing Labia Minora Adhesion after Childbirth

+2

Thanks for your question and photos. I'm sorry this has happened to you but be reassured that this can be fixed - and probably relatively simply.

Your labia can be surgically detached as a simple day case procedure and you don't have to have a general anaesthetic (unless you are very anxious and wish to do so). I would anticipate some mild to moderate discomfort after the procedure, but this can be readily managed with oral medications, icing and reduced activities (avoiding friction!).

Genital "rearrangement" after childbirth is surprisingly common. Seeking the advice of a sympathetic gynaecologist or plastic surgeon will hopefully give you the answers and outcome you are seeking. Good luck!

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Labia Minora Reconstruction

+2

HI, sorry about your situation.  It appears that your labia probably adhered together after repair of the tear.  You need to see a plastic surgeon that performs a lot of labiaplasties.  I have 10 years experience with labiaplasties and I also have a fair amount of labia reconstructions for gender reassignment surgery.

Correction for your problem will require reconstruction of the lower part of the labia in addition to dividing the midline adhesion, otherwise, the lower edges will remain detached.

I hope that helps.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Looks pretty simple....

+2

While this is an unusual problem it can probably be repaired fairly simply by numbing the area and separating the connection...a simple repair by the looks of things.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty

+2

Dear B.s.

Sorry about your situation. Having been trained by Dr Horton in Genitourinary Plastic Surgery, I have significant experience with labiaplasty and associated problems.It is my expert opinion that this can and should be corrected for you. You are correct. It is not your fault.

Richard Sadove MD

Plastic Surgeon

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Labia minora webbed across introitus

+2

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry you are having this problem.

This should be easily fixable with an in office procedure. Find a plastic surgeon familiar with Labiaplasty. Once the labia minora are separated the left and right can then be closed with an edge closure or a wedge closure.

It's straight forward.  I've done it many times.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Labial Adhesions after Child Birth

+2

The labia minora often has tears after delivery and they usually heal without problems.  It is possible, but rare, for the torn edges from opposite sides to have healed together.  The edges can be seperated by numbing the area and a simple procedure in the office of a board certified plastic surgeon who performs labiaplasty.  The procedure takes no longer than 15-30 minutes to restore your normal anatomy and recovery is quick.  You should be able to walk out of the office and drive home.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Labia Minora Deformity after Child Birth

+2

Your labia minora problem was likely caused by raw labial surfaces scaring together after your vaginal delivery. They weren't necessarily sutured together, as you may have thought.

Regardless of the cause, the solutionis a simple office procedure, as has already been suggested. Any surgeon experienced in labial surgery will be able to correct this for you. There's no need to continue with this scar deformity.

Charles Gruenwald, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Labia Minora Reconstruction

+2

Thank you for the question and good quality pictures.

You demonstrate the nature of the problem very well.  I suspect that the bridge of tissue was created as your OB/GYN was reconstructing the area after delivery (just like you described).  Correction involves a simple procedure dividing  (cutting) the tissue that bridges the two labia minora edges.  This may be done under local anesthesia with an excellent aesthetic and functional result  to be expected.

I would suggest consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon experience in the area of labia minora surgery.