After Fraxel Will my Skin Brown Every Time I Get the Slightest Exposure to the Sun?

I had fraxel laser under my eyes about two months ago The first time I was exposed to the sun for a few minutes I ended up looking like a racoon. I used hydroquinone 4% cream which did little to improve it I followed up with a few IPL (I think) laser treatments which lightened it a little. I have just returned from Florida where I spend a few days with 45 sunscreen on my face at all times and once again I look like a racoon. Will I ever be able to lead a 'normal life" again and walk outside?

Sun damage, Fraxel and sunscreen

+1

Your skin is extremely vulnerable to sun damage, especially after Fraxel or any skin resurfacing treatment.  It is imperative that you use sunscreen every day (reaplying often) and wear a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses to help lower the risk of hyper pigmentation.

Tacoma Plastic Surgeon

Strict Sun Protection After Fraxel

+1

After Fraxel laser treatment it is very important to wear sunscreens that contain zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. The skin will always be temporarily red for a few days after Fraxel. The redness can lead to hyper pigmentation (brown spots) if proper sun avoidance/sun protection is not followed. This is a risk that applies to each time we perform a Fraxel laser treatment or other similar laser.

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon