After Doing Fractional Laser I Got a Two Black Spots Out of Burns. How Can I Get Rid of It? I already Tried A Chemical Peel

No improvement after fractional laser for my pitted acne scars but i got 2 black spots out of burns(laser beam).My doctor told if i do a chemical peel it will go away after doing the peel no improvement.please help me.not a severe burn but how to fade the black spot?help me.the black spot is above my upper lips

Burns with fractional laser treatment

+1

How long has it been since you had your treatment and what is your skin tone?

Hydroquinone and topical steroids may help with your darkened spots. Also, you should definitely avoid any sun exposure.

As far as not seeing improvement with acne scars, it may take a few months before you see any improvement depending on what type of laser and settings were used. Also, with acne scars, a second treatment is frequently recommended depending on the depth of the scars. I use a fractionated CO2 laser (Active/Deep Fx) and that has been my experience thus far.

I noticed your location is Dublin, Ohio. My office is also in Dublin. Feel free to come in for a consultation if you would like me to examine your skin. Mention Real Self so they will waive the consultation fee.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyperpigmentation after fractional laser treatment

+1

Hyperpigmentation can be a potential side effect of fractional laser resurfacing.  I recommend strict avoidance of sun exposure as well as the use of a hydroquinone and a broad spectrum sunscreen for one month before and one month after the procedure.

Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation usually happens when there is a break in the dermoepidermal junction and the melanin drops down into the dermis.  From there it is not easy to make it go away.

Once the hyperpigmentation has happened, there are a number of ways to approach it.  The first thing to try is a combination of hydroquinone, tretinoin and a cortisone cream once a day.  Triluma, a topical medication which combined all three of these, is not avialable at the present.  But your doctor can help you get a prescription compounded into this medication.  Strict sun avoidance and sun protection in the form of a broad spectrum sunscreen must be maintained every day.

Other lightening agents include azelaic acid and kojic acid.  These medications can be used in conjunction with a hydroquinone combination.

Chemical peels are used for superficial hyperpigmentation with good results.  However, depending on the person's skin type and the depth of the chemical peel, it may cause additional hyperpigmentation.  So caution is definitely advised.  I would start with topical lightening agents and a sunscreen first.

There are other medications that can be used in conjunction with the above combination, like azelaic acid or kojic acid to help lighten the darkened area.

Light chemical peels may help sone but usually the hyperpigmentation is deeper than the peels can go.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon