After a Face Lift and Platysmaplasty (3.5 Months Ago) I Have Very Prominent Platysmal Bands Which I Did Not Have Before?

Facelift and neck bands

+3

Sometimes with sculpting of the neck, neck bands become more apparent. Often when I do face lifts, I imbricate the muscle and usually divide it inferiorly to minimize the chance of neck bands to appear. Botox may help as well.

Platysma bands after surgery

+2

There are two types of platysmaplasty- anterior platysmaplasty or corset platysmaplasty which is performed to improve platysma bands, and posterior platysmaplasty which involves posterior retraction of the neck muscles.  The latter surgery can help efface the bands but will not eliminate them.  There are roles for each type of operation depending on the goals of the surgery.

If you had a posterior retraction and not a corset platysmaplasty, combined with liposuction which removed the fat hiding the bands before surgery, the bands could appear worse after surgery.  

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon, and find out more about your surgery.  In a worst case scenario, a revision will likely fix anything that concerns you.  Best case, swelling will go down and your neck will look great on its own!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Platysmal bands

+2

The platysmal bands are due to the aging , shortening and fibrosing of the neck muscles.  In addition to tightening the bands under the submental region, some surgeons cut the leading bands over the thyroid area to prevent them from coming back

Platysmal bands following facelift and platysmaplasty

+2

Hello, and sorry to hear about the appearance of new platysmal bands that were not present prior to your surgery. This could be due to a number of number of things, and I would really need to learn more about the details of your procedure and see before and after photos. In general, the side effects of a facelift can include the following:

1) Swelling
2) Bruising
3) Temporary numbness
4) Nerve injury that is usually temporary but can sometimes be permanent

It is possible that the platysmaplasty was not performed correctly, and there is platysmal banding as a result. This is something that can be addressed during a revision platysmaplasty. I would recommend following up with your surgeon, as he or she may be able to help determine the cause of your issue. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Platysma bands developing after a facelift will require revisional surgery.

+2

Most facelift include tightening of the platysma which is meant to correct platysma bands. If the neck was defatted without repair of the platysma the bands would emerge as swelling subsided.

Platysmal Bands After Facelift

+2

Was there a significant amount of defatting or liposuction performed?  Some people with extremely fatty necks can mask platysmal bands. There are many possibilities here, so ask your plastic surgeon.

Platysmal banding after Facelift

+2

Dear thomasina, although I cannot specifically comment about the appearance of your neck based on the lack of photos and an examination, it is not typical or normal for platysmal bands to show up at this time.  The answer will most depend on what your Surgeon did or didn't do with your neck at the time of the procedure.  At 3.5 months, there is still some degree of inflammation in your neck and several months may need to pass before this resolves.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Banding After Neck Lift

+2

Thomasina, first of all platysmal banding 3 months after a platysmaplasty is distinctly abnormal. The most common reason for post- necklift banding is that the bands were  not visable before surgery due to the fat content of the neck. It's only after the fat is removed that the bands are identified and should have been addressed with the platsymaplasty. Fairly often after platsymaplasty secondary bands can develope, usually a little more lateral than the primary bands. Photos would show if these are secondary bands. So soon after surgery the best option might be Botox as another surgery is probably the only cure.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and neck platysmal bands

+2

Dear thomasina,

• I would bring this up to your PS so you can look at before and after pics together
  • Without looking at your pre-op anatomy, it is hard to say exactly why this occurred

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Banding After Facelift

+2

Dear Thomasina,

If is a little difficult to give you an answer.  A picture (before and after) would be helpful.  This "band" may represent  a scar band if any neck work was done or may represent a true platysmal band that is now revealed after the skin has be redraped.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS