After Explantation W/o Revision, Will Internal Breast Lift Minimize Breast Tissue?

33 y/o 100lbs. Explanting after 10yrs of saline implants 300cc. No weight gain nor pregnancies. Concerned of outcome b/c skin has been stretched so long. Was 32AA, want to look as normal as possible. One Dr. said no need for lift, skin was "good" I'd go back to old self & fill out over time. Other Dr. said yes to internal lift or risk looking deformed/deflated. Will internal lift reduce the little volume I may have? If no lift will scar stay high? Will lift hide scar in crease? im mostly implant

Breast implant removal

+5

In all likelihood removing the implants alone will leave your breasts flatter and empty.  You  most likely will have not tissue inside to really lift.  I would remove the implants only, and give it a chance to settle.  If you need a lift, you can always get it later.

Removing Implants

+3

I agree that you have a beautiful result.  Occasionally, I see patients who just want the implants removed because they don't want the implants "to be a part of them" anymore.  Make sure you think about this and that this is the right thing for you.  I don't know what an "internal lift" is in regards to implant removal.  I use internal sutures (capsulorrhaphy) but for patients who have implants for better pocket placement.  It's difficult to say if you need a lift after removal -- no one will know exactly what your breasts will look like after the implants are removed until it is done.  Talk to your surgeon and get good advice.

Implant removal and breast lift

+3

You certainly have an excellent result. I am not sure of the reason you want to remove the implants, but I think you need to consider how you may feel with minimal breast tissue. You do not have a lot of skin laxity, so I don't think you will need a lift subsequent to removal.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

+3

Your photos show a perfect result.  Are you sure you want to lose that???  There is no need to do anything but remove the implants.  An "internal lift" on you is bogus.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

No need for lift

+3
There is no indication for lift. If you get explantation your breast will retract in two weeks. If you plant to remove implants with no replacement, I would recommend bilateral implant deflation in office to see how your tissue will retract. I have done fat grafting for patients in similar situations. Check my web site

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Removing breast implants may require a lift

+2

After your breast implants are removed, you may require an internal and external lift.  However, it's difficult to give you an exact answer because a lot of the aesthetics of the lift will be determined in the operating room.  Therefore, I would expect both types of lift going into the operating room and trust your plastic surgeon to give you the best result.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Remove the implants first

+2

You have a great result right now. If you want to be smaller, just remove or deflate the implants and let the skin retract at first then revise prn.

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon

Removing implants

+2

I totally agree with Dr. Rand.  You have an excellent result and I would think hard about removing them because you most likely will not look very good and will have extra skin.  Additionally sometimes the rib cartilage can be affected with a concave appearance after removal.  Once again an internal lift is "bogus".

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Internal lifts

+1
An internal lift will decrease the pocket at the base and increase the breast projection.  Internal lifts do not reduce volume, but make the breast look fuller but less wide.  Many patients with 300cc implants benefit from an internal lift due to the low fold being able to be raised.  If the scar is too low, it can also be revised by cutting out an ellipse up to the natural fold, so that now the scar lies in the natural fold.  Sometimes this can also help to remove excess skin in the lower pole.  Please see the information in The Naked Truth About Breast Implants about explantation and mastopexies. Saline implants should be replaced (or explanted) about every ten years due to potential problems with valves.

Susan Kolb, MD