After exercising at 9 weeks post BA, I have pain and swelling in my left breast, Should I be concerned?

I'm 10 1/2 weeks post op Breast Augmentation. At the beginning of my 9 weeks, I took a 60 min zumba class. Felt fine during class and was wearing a supportive sports bra. Day after I felt a little sore and day two was worse. I also began to swell in my left breast. Pain and swelling have not subsided as of yet. Should I be worried? My PS told me to give it a couple of weeks and if I was still in pain I should go back to see him.. I'm afraid too wait to long in case of capsule contracture.

Swelling 9 week after breast augmenation is unusual and should be investigated

+1
At nine weeks you would ordinarily be able to get back to full vigorous activities.  This seems a bit unusual and warrants a recheck by your plastic surgeon.  Sudden onset of swelling may just be a soft tissue problem but it could also be bleeding within the pocket.  Better safe than sorry, get rechecked. 

Breast augmentation

+1
Vanejax-

While it is unusual to have issues this far out from breast augmentation, I think your concerns are valid. I would recommend setting up an appointment with your plastic surgeon and having them examine you. If they are not concerned after examining you then I would trust their judgement. If you still are concerned you can always ask for a second opinion. Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Increasing pain and swelling

+1
I share your concern, and would try to see the surgeon as soon as possible. Contracture is a possibility, as is fluid collection (blood or serum). 

All the best.

Always best to check with your surgeon

+1
You have a valid reason for concern.  Although it is likely nothing to worry about, your concerns can be easily set aside with a quick follow exam.  If you are worried, and especially if you are not getting better, ask to be seen.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Should I be worried about breast swelling after a breast augmentation?

+1
Thanks so much for your question.  It's one thing to have some pain after you begin to resume exercising.  However, it's another thing to have swelling.  If you truly have a difference in size in your breasts following your exercise class then you need to be seen in the next few days by your surgeon.  You can have bleeding that develops late, although it would be very unlikely, it could happen.  I would think that it is safer to be seen and be evaluated.  Good luck.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
If it is not dramatically increasing in size its unlikely a late hematoma which can happen but you need to listen to your body and take it easy

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

BBA

+1
You need to go see your PS.  We can't diagnose your problem without examining you in person.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)