After Coolsculpting, I Have a Rock Hard Lump??

I had Coolsculpting done on my abdomen 10 days ago. On day 4, I noticed a hard lump near my belly button (on the left side only). I called my technician that performed the procedure and she said it was necrosis of the fat and it was fine. I am now on day 10 and the hard lump has grown a little. I am wondering if this is normal? Will this go away or is this going to stay a permanent lump there?? What can I do to help it??

Lump after Coolsculpting

+2

Some patients can develop a lump in the area treated as the fat cells die.  These lumps do resolve on their own and are nothing to be concerned about.  Massaging the area can help the lump to dissipate more quickly but even if you left it alone completely it should resolve on its own.  Continue to follow up with the office that treated you but know that this can be a normal part of the process for patients. (it doesn't always occur but is not unusual)  Good luck.

Hard lump after Cool Sculpting by Zeltiq

+2

Inflammation, seroma (clear liquid swelling), fat necrosis, doubtful hernia, cyst are all possibilities. You should be seen and not deal with this by telephone. Let the phsyician examine you. 

Many patients develop tender nodules temporarily in the first couple of months that self resolve and is a normal process of the body taking care of the dying fat cells. In my NYC practice, for the rare patients that notice the tender nodules, external ultrasound energy is delivered as a massage and this helps to reduce the inflammation.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Lump After CoolSculpting

+1

I would go in to be evaluated so that they can physically see and feel if it is normal inflammation causing some underlying induration or something else.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Side effects

+1

We have been performing Coolsculpting since FDA approval three years ago.

We are selective on the patients we treat and get consistenly predictable responses as we insure that they have soft tissue that pinches easily between the skin while results in patients with fibrous fat can be less predictable.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Post Cool Sculpting Lump?

+1

Thank you for your question. The firmness tends to dissipate over several weeks, and at 6-8 weeks, most if not all is dissipated. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Lumps

+1

Sometimes patient experience lumps after Coolsculpting.  We recommend to our patients to gently massage the area.  This usually helps the lump to soften and disappear.

Ben Hugo, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon