Should I Be Concerned that My Nose to Looks the Same as Before the Surgery, 1 Month Post-Op?

My cast was removed about a month ago for primary rhino/septo, but I don't see any of the changes that I asked my doctor before surgery. Aren't you supposed to see at least little bit of changes that you asked for, one month po? is it too early to notice any changes? my nose looks almost the same as before surgery. If I don't see any changes now, will it get better down the road?

+1

If nothing looks different, the tip isn't smaller, the nose isn't thinner even at 1 month...ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon what changes were done during the Rhinoplasty and when you could expect to see these changes accounting for normal post Rhinoplasty swelling.

Rhinoplasty Results One Month after Surgery

+1

Hi eric222,

While some rhinoplasty results may be evident soon after surgery, such as a large nasal hump reduction, most rhinoplasty results are typically not appreciated for a long time afterward, such as nasal tip refinement. Lastly, some patients may forget what they looked like prior to surgery, and only after comparing before & after photographs can changes be appreciated.

One month is still very early after rhinoplasty. Swelling in the nose lasts for a long time after nasal surgery. If you haven't already, speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty changes

+1

Depending upon what needed to be done and what was acutally done, your nose may still be swollen and you may need see the refinement for several months.

Concerned about the "unchanged" appearance of nose 1 month following rhinoplasty

+1

At one month, you will still have a fair amount of swelling present. this can take upr to a year to maximally resolve. If the changes that were needed to improve the appearance of your nose were fairly minor, you still may not see any significant difference. If, however, considerable changes such as removal of a large hump were to be performed and you don't see this difference, then there is a problem. Without providing any pre and post rhinoplasty photos, it is unclear which situation you are dealing with.

You should consider discussing your concerns with your surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Nose Looks Same as Before Rhinoplasty (One Month After Surgery)

+1

Hi Eric,

There was an old TV show called the "Danny Thomas Show".  Danny was Lebanese, had a very large nose and wanted to have a rhinoplasty against his family's wishes.  He went ahead with the rhinoplasty anyway.  After the surgery while his cast was in place, Danny regretted having had the surgery, especially because of the way his family felt about his losing his "ethnicity".   A week later when the surgeon removed his splint, his nose was exactly the same.  The surgeon explained that he knew that Danny really didn't want to change his nose.  In TV land, everyone lived happily ever after.

Unfortunately in real life it is not the same. 

There is a great deal of swelling and healing after rhinoplasty.  A good surgeon will leave cartilage and boney structure behind so that the nose is stable for the remainder of the patient's life.  Often the changes from rhinoplasty are seen months to years after the surgery.  In those cases where the nose looks changed and perfect immediately, often times during the healing process over a few years it shrink-wraps and appears over-done, pinched, collapsed and unsatisfactory requiring revision rhinoplasty. 

Be patient, discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon, and enjoy your new nose.  It should pay dividends in the future.  Hopefully, like Danny Thomas, you will be happy with the outcome of your surgery. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD