After Care of Mole Removal Above Lip?

I had a mole removed above my lip today. The physician only said to use Vaseline and keep covered with a bandage. Is there anything else I can do to prevent a big scar. It was cut off. I seen a plastic surgeon a couple month back that said my skin heals fast and clean. He based that on some marks I already had. But I didn't remove it with him because he was charging over $700. I read a lot of comments on people using miracle skin salve. I wanted to know if that's something I can use.

Post procedure care after mole removal

+1

I agree with your physician's recommendations.  My additional pointers would be to use a cotton swab to gently remove any dried crust or debris as it will generally heal more quickly.  I would also keep the area covered with a bandage and ointment daily after cleaning it daily and applying petroleum jelly on it. After the initial week of healing, be careful about sun exposure as it is prone to color changes in the first year.  If there is anything about the scar you don't like, it can typically be improved with use of lasers or steroid injections. 

Seattle Dermatologist

Care of site of mole removal

+1

After removal of a mole, I advise my patients to keep the area clean by gently washing twice daily with soap and water and then applying either plain petroleum jelly or Aquaphor Healing Ointment. Band aids are optional after the first day. Application of an antibiotic ointment is NOT recommended. Makeup can be used anytime after the first day. I recommend following your physician's advice.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon