What After Care Will Ensure the Best Results from the Restylane Injections on my Lips?

Are regularly scheduled injections the best way to keep my lips looking plump? How should bruising be treated after injections? Are there certain foods that I should avoid?

Restylane for lips after care

+1

The procedure that we follow to get the best results for Restylane lip injections are:

1. Application of ice for 1 minute prior to injection
  2. Very slow injection with limited volumes just enough to fill slightly
  3. Application of ice for 5 minutes after injection
  4. Use of Vitamin K cream (Auriderm) immediately after
  5. Repeat injection of small amounts every 6 months for maintenance

The use of any filler in the lips is an off-label use at the moment, but the FDA is seriously considering an official indication for Restylane.  An advisory panel to the Food and Drug Administration voted in late April 27 to recommend the injectable filler Restylane for use as a lip enhancer. But  FDA approval may not make a difference in how the dermal filler is actually used in clinical practice, since it is used all the time anyway.

Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Aftercare with restylane and other fillers

+1

Most patients have little to do after a lip injection with filler. That said, I do encourage patients to avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, alcohol, green tea, ginseng, gingko biloba and vitamin E as all can cause more bruising and swelling.  Ice application in the 1st hour after injection can also help reduce bruising and swelling. Also, avoid extreme heat or cold for ideally 48hrs. 

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising

+1

I do very little after a careful lip augmentation with Restylane. Uneven swelling is usually gone the next day and bruising is not that common. Ice helps initially

Web reference: http://www.drbray.com

After Care for Restylane Injections

+1

Some of my patients prefer to come in on a regular basis, every six to twelve months, to get a "touch-up" treatment to keep their lips plump. BEFORE their injections my patients are instructed to avoid aspirin, NSAIDs, fish oil, and Vitamin E to name a few of the most common problem drugs. AFTER (not before) their injections, I recommend Bromelain tablets (an enzyme from pineapples) to reduce the swelling and bruising. 

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/restylane/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

How to minimize brusing from lip augmentation injections?

+1

Avoid all blood thinners including aspirin, ibuprofrens, etc., fish oil, Vit C, Vit E, niacin, Zinc and a whole list, of others, that should be avialable form the MD that does your injections.  Ice and Arnica 12C ater the injections.

Web reference: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whats-Your-Number-The-Palmer-Code/53723954087

More important is before and during the procedure!

+1

What is done before and during the procedure is most important.  First of all, avoid all platelet inhibitors such as aspirin, alcohol and NSAID's (and anything that contains any of them) for 7-10 days before your procedure.  Also take Arnica Montana 30X pills starting the day before, until the day after your procedure.  Put 4 pills under your tongue every 3-4 hours while awake and let them dissolved.  Also eat pineapple during this time period.  Make sure that your injector is very experienced in lip augmentation, and ask them to inject very slowly since the faster the injection, the more it hurts and the more chance of bruising.  After the injections, do not "use" your lips for anything except eating.....and use ice packs at least 20 minutes per hour until after the sweling goes down.  Remember to sleep with your head elevated so that there is less chance of swelling in your lips overnight.  Good luck!

Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon