After Brow and Facelift, Is Hair Loss Common (photo)?

My surgery was on June 19th, 2012. More than 8 weeks has passed. My hair did not come out. Some of surgeons I met mentioned my hair loss would be permanent. At the best, one half of the lost hair might come back. I wonder if it is the way it is supposed to be?

Hair loss after Facelift

+2

It is too early to tell if you're hair loss will be permanent.  Hair loss around the incisions that you had is a known, though infrequent, complication of your procedure.  It is possible that the hairs have been "shocked," in which case it will be 3 months before they start to come back.  Over-the-counter Minoxidil may help stimulate the follicles to begin growing agin.  If the hair does not come back, the best option is follicular unit hair restoration.  

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Loss Common After Facelift?

+2

While it is not common, it is certainly in the realm of possibilities and can have many causes as my colleagues have outlined. I agree very much that with a stress response it can happen but should return. If the hair follicle was damaged it could be permanent. If it does not return by one year I would also consider scar reduction to pull the hairline back together and narrow the gap. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Hair loss after face/brow lifting procedure

+2

While it does not happen often, hair loss after face and or brow lifting is certainly a possibility. The causes could be related to anesthesia, a stress or shock type phenomenon, loss of adequate blood supply to the scalp, or direct loss from scarring. If your hair loss is secondary to anesthesia or shock related causes, it is most likely going to be temporary. The return of hair growth can sometimes take many months. You could try some hair growth stimulating products like Minoxidil or even a laser comb to possibly speed things up. For now, patience will probably be a virtue. 

Michael A. Epstein, MD

Hair loss after face lifting

+2

It is too early to know if your hair loss will be permanent. Starting at 3 months after a shock loss type of problem should be the time hair might grow again. If there is insufficient coverage by one year after the hair loss, you might consider hair transplants. The use of topical 5% Minoxidil might hasten the rate of hair growth. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Loss After Facelift

+2

Generally speaking, permanent hair loss is not common after a Facelift.  As mentioned by Dr. Johnson, this complication is more likely to occur in smokers. Temporary hair loss of telogen efluvium, is a stress response to surgery and generally recovers over the course of several months.  Whether or not regrowth of hair will occur is still somewhat up in the air at 2 months.  If you are faced with a similar situation at 6-9 months, scar revision and/or microfollicular hair transplantation may be necessary.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss after facelift

+2
Hair loss after facelift should be uncommon, however it can be seen occasionally in smokers.  And can be seen if the plane used for brow elevation is more superficial in the level of the hair follicles themselves.  We have found that once  the hair is lost and drops out, recovery of the follicles with regrowth is unusual and revision of your incisions to reduce the area of hair loss, or alopecia, may become necessary.

Hair Loss after Facelift

+1

Hair loss after a face lift and brow lift can be both temporary and permanent.  It takes at least 6 months after surgery to know if it's going to be permanent.  Also only some of the hair may come back and this problem is not uncommon. 

Jack Fisher, MD