After Breast Reduction, When Will I Be Able to Purchase the Right Size Bra?

Bra Shopping after Breast Reduction?

+1

It will probably be in your best interest to wait at least 6 months after surgery before shopping for expensive bras. Up to that point, I suggest patients where soft, non-under wired bras.

Breast reduction and final bra

+1

Your breasts after surgery will be swollen, and this may take 4-6 months or longer for the final size to be stable.

Buying Bras after breast reduction

+1

I generally advise my patients to wait a minimum of 3 months and preferably 9 months prior to investing in a whole new brassiere wardrobe.

Bra sizing after breast reduction

+1

I let my patients get measured for an inexpensive bra 3 weeks after surgery.  I recommend waiting a couple of months before spending a lot of $$$$ for some nice bras.  Be sure to get measured by someone who knows what they are doing!   This usually means a little grey hair and bifocals.  I think the ladies at Nordstrom do a great job. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Bra size following breast surgery

+1

A post-surgical breast garment is generally recommended following surgery (for 1 to 2 weeks).  After about a week, I like for patients to wear a sports bra.  After about 2 months, you can be sized for the most appropriate fit at Victoria's Secret or other bra carrier. 

Jason R. Hess, MD

+1

IDEALLY, you really should not invest in expensive bras until the vast majority of surgical swelling in the operated breasts has subsided. Since different people responded differently to the trauma of surgery, I could not give you a blanket, always-valid date. In general, the vast majority of swelling is gone in most women undergoing Breast Reduction surgery in 6-8 weeks.

Good Luck. Hope your recovery is going well.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Bra shopping after breast reduction

+1

Once your breasts don't feel or look swollen and have only minimal tenderness, you are ready for bra shopping after your breast reduction. I usually suggest to wait a few months (2-3) before buying new expensive bras.  Just get inexpensive bras in the meantime.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Wait a Few Weeks after Reduction for Bra Sizing

+1

I generally have my patients wait 6 weeks or so following there reduction mammaplasty to be sized for bras.  Up to this point an athletic bra seems to work nicely.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Reduction and Bra size

+1

After a breast reduction the breasts are usually swollen, firm and may be tender. I have patients wear a post operative surgical bra for one week, then a soft full coverage bra without under wire for another month. I would not recommend buying an expensive bra or having a  bra fitting for almost 3 months. At around that time most of the swelling is gone, the breast are soft, and should feel normal. Then you can pick out any  pretty style you like.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon