How Soon After Breast Reduction Can I Do Downhill Skiing?

I had breast reduction surgery 2 weeks ago. I am doing well, no pain, no issue. My surgical tape is still in place. I have walked at a 4mph pace, elliptical machined (no arm usage), and have stationary biked (upright posture, kept weight on arms/chest to a minimum). Family is going downhill skiing in 2 days. I want to go too. I'm a competent skier (1 fall in 3 years, ice), would stay on bunny hill with kids, and can leave poles behind so I don't use arms/chest. Too soon?

Activity after breast reduction surgery

+1

Even thought the wounds may appear healed, they do not have a lot of strength at this point.  Skiing can be strenuous and you can not be certain you will not fall.  I would not recommend skiing until after 6 weeks, but consult your surgeon for his or her advice.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Skiing after Breast Reduction

+1

Skin healing starts to plateau between 4 and 6 week and so most surgeons recommend light activity for the first 6 weeks. You can check with your plastic surgeon but I would not recommend skiing at this time. If you fall, you may open the incision.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction

+1

You sound pretty active.  I'll bet you feel a lot better after your procedure with less weight to cause a skeletal imbalance!  I tell my patients they can resume normal vigorous exercise 3 weeks after their breast reduction if they have normal healing.  However, if they might receive a "hit" like in basketball game, or suffer a "fall' like in downhill skiing, then I advise them to wait six weeks.  Cross-country or Nordic skiing on a level plane should be safe at three weeks.  That said, it is up to your surgeon to give you this advice.  All the best, "Dr. Joe" Gryskiewicz

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and skiing

+1

I usually  have my paitents avoid aerobic activity for 3-4 weeks and strenuous workouts heavy lifting, etc.. for 6-8 weeks.  This question is something you shoudl ask your surgeon.

Breast reduction and Skiing?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction surgery;  it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

It will be interesting to see if you are a better skiier  after the surgery.  Always best to check with your own plastic surgeon regarding activity level;  personally, I would suggest at least 6 to 8 weeks before this type of strenuous,  potentially traumatic activity.

Skiing After Breast Reduction

+1

Using your arms and poling while skiing isn't really the issue. The concern is a fall, whether your fault or another skiier or boarder runs into you, could possibly make the wounds pop open and that would not be good on the mountain. I would say 6 weeks minimum before considering that.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD