After breast lift surgery, can I use Scarguard with silicone sheets?

I don't know which one to use so I figured I use both and get quicker results. I heard Scarguard is good because it's 12% silicone and hydrocortisone. I also heard it's also important to keep the scar pressed down with some material and my PS recommends silicone sheets which only have 4% silicone. I've decided to use both...will that be fine, if not then which is better? Thanks.

Scar remedies

+2
I have used both products and both help scar maturation. However, I have not used both in conjunction but I cannot see why this would be a bad thing. But don't know that it will help you get "quicker results" either.

+1
Both products seem to help with scar maturation.  But, what I find that seems to work best is massaging the scars with vitamin E oil, as well as taking vitamin E by mouth.  Follow your Plastic Surgeons suggestions for scar management.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Scar therapy after breast lift

+1
Thank you for your question.  I have recommended both products to my patients.  The downside with ScarGuard is the long length of scar and potential quick use of the product.  The silicone sheets are reusable and may be cheaper in the long run.  A new product, Embrace is now available, and has shown some very nice results on tummy tuck scars.  There is work in progress to tailor this new scar therapy toward breast incisions around the nipple/areola.  Preliminary evidence has shown improvement on the horizontal and vertical breast scars with this new product.  Good luck!

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Silicone for scar improvement, which formulation to use?

+1
Great question especially because there are so many more evidence based medical solutions.  My favorite is Neodyne Bioscience's Embrace.  It is a medical device consisting of "spring loaded" silicone gel sheeting,which is placed after the wound drainage or exudate has dried up; usually 10-14 days, postop. Patients can shower and return for replacement 10-14 days, postop;  the usual course of therapy is 90days.  I have had great results on high tension wounds such as abdominoplasty and brachioplasty but regrettably they haven't yet got the breast lift forms out.    My patients have had good results with Kelocote, which is very easy to apply and is very affordable. Finally, do review this consumer's humorous blog;  I agree with most of his observations.  Above all else, do confer with your PS.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD