How Soon After a Breast Lift is Laser Scar Removal Ideal?

ALSO during the process of removing the scars, would this include scar tissue around the areolas?

How soon after a breast lift is laser scar removal ideal?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Scar removal?

+1

Scars can never be removed. Time is the best treatment for fading of the scars. Although tremendous resources have been placed on lotion and potions to treat scars none have been clinically shown to be effective. silicone strips and pressure have been the most significant part of scar control in my practice. I reserve lasers (BBL and Fraxel) for mature scars that continue to have a purple hue to them. I would only use the lasers at about 6 months or so after the procedure.

Sepehr Egrari, MD

Scar "removal"

+1

Scars cannot be removed but they can be revised or treated with injections or laser.  BUT - mother nature does a very good job of scar revision in most cases.  I have patients tape their incision for 3 - 6 months and give most scars up to a year to settle.  Many scars look pretty nasty at a few months but as time passes they fade and get much softer.  Tincture of time is what usually works.  Laser can be useful for persistent redness in a sacr that has been given plenty of time to fade.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Laser Treatments After A Breast Lift Will Not Remove The Scars

+1

It is perfectly understandable why any breast lift patient would want to make every effort to get the best scar result as possible.  There are numerous early incisional/scar treatment approaches with the laser being one of them. It can be used to help expedite the clearing of scar redness or making the scar more flat with resurfacing. I certainly wouldn't embark on any laser treatments before six weeks as the skin has to be completely healed. Once concept about scar treatments that you must understand is that scar removal is not possible...only some degree of scar improvement. You will be left with permanent scars from the breast lift procedure. Time also provides a the best method of scar improvement so do not expect an early miracle in how the scars will appear after laser treatments. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Breast Lift and Scar Reduction

+1
In general, I would wait 4-6 weeks after surgery to begin any laser treatments for your incisions. Do keep in mind that there is no such thing as a scar removal, only improvements in scar appearance. The overall time frame depends on what type of laser treatment you will undergo and how well you are healing after surgery. Make sure to talk with your plastic surgeon before pursuing the treatments as well.

Derek Lou, MD

Lasers fade scars but don't remove them

+1
Most scars improve a lot over a period of months without any special treatment. If your scars are not progressing normally, laser or IPL treatments can help fade the red color and soften them. This could be started as early as 6 weeks if necessary.

Richard Baxter, MD

No such thing as scar "removal"

+1

Maybe just a loose use of the word on your part, but make sure you understand that lasers and or any other scar treatments do not remove the scar, they only assist in making the scar less visible.  All scars are permanent but will improve with time, even without laser treatments.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS