After Breast Aug, my Breast Are 2 Different Size. What Do I Do?

I'm am almost 4 week post op. the swelling has gone and they have dropped quite a bit. I have noticed from day one that one was bigger than the other. One is a D and the other is a DD. I now like I will have to wear baggy shirts for the rest of my life. I'm am literally in tears. Am I stuck this way?

Healing after surgery

+1

swelling continues to change for 3-4 months

if your breasts were even before and the same size implants were used,  you will be even when you heal

Need time to see your final result after breast augmentation

+1

Time to just relax and allow yourself to heal.  At 4 weeks you are very early in the process.  It is very likely that your breasts will change over the next 2 - 3 months.  If you do not see a positive change after this time then it may be time to consider a revision.    

4 weeks post breast augmentation

+1

Sorry that the two breast are different sizes, but at four weeks some of the difference may be from swelling. If they remain different sizes, then you might consider a revision.

Concerns about Breast Symmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the stressful experience after breast augmentation surgery. As you can imagine, it is not possible for online consultants to give you precise advice and/or reassurance without direct examination or viewing pictures. Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to do so.  He/she is also in the best position to rule out complications that may explain the breast asymmetry.

Therefore, my best advice to you would be to express your concerns/questions to your plastic surgeon in a calm fashion, understanding that (at this point) you are not seeing the final results of the breast procedure performed. Generally speaking it is best to evaluate the end results of breast surgery approximately 6 months down the line.

After Breast Aug, my Breast Are 2 Different Size.

+1

Without photos and more info, it is very difficult to comment. For example, were you symmetric before surgery, and are the implants equal in size?

A full cup size is a large discrepancy. It could also be caused by a collection of blood or serum that would need to be evacuated. It could also be that one implant hasn't dropped as much. If the excess fill is limited to the upper pole, that can make a breast seem larger than it actually is and will be after the implant has dropped.

Please consider posting some photos, and you will probably find that you will get more useful responses. Thank you for your question, all the best. 

Asymmetry after BAM

+1

First don't panic, take a cleansing breath.

Now what to expect.  First, no matter how "perfect" the breasts are before or after surgery there will always be asymmetry.  A whole cup size sounds like it is a bigger difference than acceptable.

The reasons for the asymmetry include fluid collections that will resolve spontaneously, natural asymmetry, or implant selection.  Also, swelling and spasm contribute to the above.

You need to  have a frank discussion with your ps.  It may be that you need a revision, or the problem may resolve with time.  Either way, your ps should give you a straight answer and stand by you to get this resolved.  I am sure that he wants you to be happy.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Early Assymetry Worries

+1

Hi Kim.  What you are experiencing is not altogether uncommon.  First, your preoperative photos would be of great benefit to assess the preoperative normal anatomic asymmetry that everyone has present.  The crease height is often different, as well as the width of the chest, side-to-side.  These asymmetries can sometimes be camouflaged to look better after surgery, but often are either unchanged or may even be more pronounced with breast augmentation.  Further, at just 4 weeks postop, I would expect them to still be quite different.  The two breasts heal at different rates, with one usually feeling and looking better more than a week faster than the other side.  I tend to tell my patients that it will be 6-8 weeks before they really settle down.  And to really put things into perspective regarding healing, that it takes about a year actually for the scars inside and out to become mature.  So, hang in there for a while longer.  If by 2 months or so, you are still concerned, return to your plastic surgeon so they can reevaluate you at that point, and compare the appearance to preoperative photos.  Hope this helps calm your nerves!

Alina Sholar, MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Postop asymmetry

+1

I am sorry you are distressed.  Rest assured that there is nothing to do for now.  I would say that bruising and swelling from breast augmentation can be different from side to side and can take as long as 8 weeks or more to recover.  If you were pretty symmetric from the start and the surgeon used identically sized implants, then I think that you can generally expect things to even out.  If you were asymmetric from the start, then it may have been a challenge to match you up.  If you and your surgeon decide that the asymmetry is significant and true after 2 months out, a revision may be needed although I would wait longer until things have softened to the point that I felt sure that no swelling remained and that your implants had fully settled.  So, do not be surprised if your surgeon puts you off longer on a revision.  It is in your best interest.  Errors in judgement of volume will be higher if you jump into a revision too early.  Also, tissue that is still healing and inflammed from the first surgery takes longer to heal the second go around.  So, ease your mind a bit if you can.  If it is a true size discrepancy, there is likely to be an easy fix with a short procedure time and short recovery period.  But, my advice would be to wait for now.  Hope this helps!

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD

4 weeks post breast augmentation and have asymmetry of the breasts

+1

At 4 weeks post breast augmentation it may be difficult to tell what the cause of the uneveness of the breasts may be. Often at times patients have different size and/or shape breasts to begin with. You need to return to your PS and discuss your concern. If you are no longer comfortable with your operating surgeon you may want to seek a second opinion. Just make sure that the PS is Board Certified and has a lot of experience with breast augmentation. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Different size breasts?

+1

Hello Kim, Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to assess you without the benefit of pre and post operative photos.  If you were the same size breasts before surgery, and the same size implants were placed, Then there are a few possibilities causing the problem.  Positioning of the implant, i.e. if one implant is higher or longer than the other, this can make it look like they are different sizes because one implant can appear to be wider and one can appear to be fuller.  Secondly, there may be fluid or a blood clot in the bigger breast causing it to be bigger.  Its best to be assessed by your surgeon and discuss your concerns.  There is a possibility the mass or fluid may reabsorb,and if it does not, these problems are correctible.  Best Wishes, Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon