Massaging After Breast Augmentation

what massaging are you suppose to do after the augmenation or do just leave them alone?

Massaging after breast augmentation.

+3

I do feel that most implants placed under the muscle do get somewhat massaged just by their location but also feel like this process of massaging is so easy to perform and will not hurt anything so why not perform it to assure the best chance of reducing capsular contracture. As a plastic surgeon we want to do everything we can to decrease the risk of capsular contracture. So why would we not do everything we can especially when it is so easy to perform.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

How to do Breast Massage after Breast Augmentation

+2
Please see the below instructional video that our office has prepared for patients following breast augmentation and below link to post op instructions

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Massage after Breast Augmentation

+2

I am a big advocate of breast massage.  I like to wait until the first postoperative visit to begin massage for three reasons.  
1.  I do not want excess tension on the fresh incision, which can cause wound healing problems
2.  Massage will increase soreness and I want to get patients off pain medication as quickly and safely as possible.
3.  Early massage can increase the risk of bleeding, which is the number 1 cause of capsular contracture/scar formation.

For this reason, I begin massage therapy at the first visit, which is 4-7 days postop.  I then establish a regimine of 3 minutes of massage 3 times a day for 3 months.  I recommend moving the breast up/down/left/right, then squeeze to minimize scar from all directions.

I do prefer a bra, especially in physically active patients, as I find it helps prevent the implant from dropping too much and causing implant malposition.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Massage after Breast Augmentation

+2

If you have had the procedure I would recommend that you follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations.  Most  likely he/she has recommended massage of the breast implants  which is felt by many plastic surgeons to be helpful in keeping the breast implant soft.  if you have questions about the  specific technique  your plastic surgeon recommends then address those with him/her during your next visit. Otherwise, I'm afraid you will be confused or overly anxious with online consultants' recommendations.

Breast massage after implant augmentation (VIDEO)

+1

I am including a video of the breast massage exercises I recommend after augmentation. First discuss with your surgeon.

Massage after breast augmentation

+1

We advise our patients to begin breast massage 1 week after surgery.  The purpose of breast massage is to keep a thick capsule from forming around the breast implants.  It also helps the implants settle into their final position.  We have our patients massage 2 or 3 times daily for several months. 

Best Wishes,

Neil Zemmel, MD

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Massaging after breast augmentation

+1

After undergoing breast augmentation surgery, massaging can begin after you have sutures are removed or when advised by your plastic surgeon. When massaging meet through the implant in horizontal and vertical directions and move the implant around in its pocket. Massage at least once a day for five minutes. The massage will not break the implant, as long as your not too aggressive. The reason why we have patients massage is to prevent capsular contracture.
Best regards,
Dr.Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Post Augmentation Massaging

+1

When I placed implants over the muscle several years ago, I routinely asked patients to massage their breasts post-op.  However, since I almost always now place the implants submuscularly, I feel that the pectoralis muscle provides a natural massage and I no longer ask patients to perform massage.

John Whitt, MD