After BMX, Expanded to 350cc, then Dr Put in 450cc High Profile Implants. Is This Normal?

Mastectomy and implant reconstruction

+1

It is difficult to comment specifically on your case without more detail. Generally I would expand to a certain volume and then use a slightly smaller implant dependant on many factors including patient desires, skin quality, chest dimensions, breast base, muscle quality and thus implant coverage. Do you have a problem with the implants now? Sean Nicklin, Plastic Surgeon, Sydney, Australia.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+1

Hi marym001,

There are several things that contribute to the loss of projection after a mastectomy despite having an immediate reconstruction. These include the loss of breast tissue, the creation of a scar in non-nipple sparing mastectomies and the placement of the implant under the pectoral muscle. In choosing the profile of the implant your plastic surgeon has to consider all these as well as the aesthetic goals that you have. In my practice it is not uncommon to use higher profile implants in reconstruction compared to augmentation alone. Have a chat to your surgeon and I'm sure he'll be happy to explain the rationale as to his choice of implant for your reconstruction.

Derek Neoh, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon