After Blepharoplasty Surgery, is Kelo-cote or Dermatix Ultra Better for Scar Healing?

I am going for a blepharoplasty surgery next month. I am wondering which scar treatment gel is better for a faster recovery after the surgery - Kelo-cote or Dermatix Ultra Advanced Scar Treatment? Which is more suitable and effective?

Scar treatment after blepharoplasty

+2

Unless you are predisposed to a problem in healing, most upper eyelid surgery does not require a special scar treatment after the procedure. That being said either treatment I have found to be effective in minimizing scars in patients at risk including in the eyelid area. Mederma also works.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

No special scar treatment needed after blepharoplasty.

+2

Unless you scar especially badly, no scar medication should be needed after blepharoplasty.  Usually, the gentle application of a facial skin moisturizer, twice daily, to the scar is enough.  This should begin about a week after the procedure.  Just as important is the protection of the scars from any form of ultraviolet light (esp. the sun) during the healing process.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Unfavorable scarring after eyelid syrgery

+2

Hi Larissa.  Unfavorable scarring after a blepharoplasty is very rare.  I routinely perform eyelid surgeries on patients with a history of keloid formation on other parts of the body without any adverse effects.  Both kelocote and dermatrix are silicone gels that have minimal, if any, effects on the course of the scarring process.  Silicone sheeting is effective but not appropriate for the eyelids.  

Eyelid scars are usually stable at three months or earlier after surgery.  Good luck with your procedure.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty and scar therapy

+2

Hello and thank you for your question.  I am not aware that either scar therapy is helpful after blepharoplasty.  Each of the treatments has limited scientific data.  The scars after blepharoplasty are typically fine lines that are hard to see.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty (eyelid tuck) incisions typically heal without a noticeable scar

+1

Blepharoplasty (eyelid tuck) incisions typically heal without a noticeable scar. I will echo the sentiment of my colleagues by saying that these incisions are not often a problem. They are in a prominent location but the skin is very fine and heals quickly. The key to proper healing, however, is careful planning and placement of those incisions as well as meticulous wound closure. If these incisions and planned and closed properly your chance for an excellent result is very high. Seek a board certified Facial Plastic or Plastic surgeon with significant experience with eyelid surgery.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon