1 Week Post-Op TT, Is it Normal to Have Stabbing Pains around Belly Button?

Hi there people was just after some advice from you guys if possible!..I am 8days post op from a full tummy tuck, I have a very weird pain its about 3inchs to the side of my belly button on both sides of my stomach, it hurts whenever I move or apply pressure to anything, it is worse in my left side than my right, sometimes it hurts when I am just sitting, it is also very sensitive to touch the area, it is like a stabbing pain. was just wondering if these kinds of pains are normal?

It might be normal

+1

The best thing to do is be seen by the plastic surgeon who performed the surgery and be examined.  However, shooting pains may be normal 8 days post surgery.

Pain one week after Tummy Tuck

+1

It is not unusual to have stabbing pains around the belly button one week after tummy tuck surgery.  Deep sutures are often placed in this area to tighten up the abdominal muscles.  Movement and coughing can often aggrevate this pain in the first week or two after the tummy tuck.  Usually, a post surgical abdominal binder will help through this period and the pains should subside in the next week or two.   Be sure to check with your surgeon to make certain that  the pain you are having is not due to an infection.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Stabbing pain after tummy tuck

+1
At one week postop, you could still have strong sensitivity to touch and pain, particularly if you had a ventral hernia repair. However, you should see your plastic surgeon to make sure that nothing else is going on. Abdominoplasty is major surgery and postop pain is to be expected although it can be addressed with proper pain medication. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon as well. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Is it normal to feel intense pain a week after a tummy tuck?

+1
The perception of pain is very variable. Some patients feel comfortable after a week and some will have pain for several weeks. The pain creates a vicious cycle as it causes anxiety and that in turn aggravates the pain. The pain near the belly button is due to the fact that this area has been plicated ( stitched together ) with permanent sutures. These sutures can cause pain until the tissue heals and it does not dependent on the sutures to hold together. You definitely should see your plastic surgeon to make sure that this is a normal post operative course and nothing is wrong. He can also adjust your pain medicine and add a drug to reduce muscle spasm. Then you should not let the pain create anxiety and be confident that the pain will go away and after a few weeks you will feel fine.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Understanding that is not possible to give you specific/accurate advice  without examining you,  the pain you are describing  is quite common 8 days after tummy tuck surgery.

Best to see a plastic surgeon for direct examination ( and probable reassurance).

Pain after Tummy Tuck

+1

Hello!

Stabbing Pains around the belly button can be a normal variant of pain, or it could be some other issue. Regardl;ess, if you feel a visit to your Plastic Surgeon is necessary, it can often alleviate your fears once you see him/her!

Dr Jeneby

Thomas T. Jeneby, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon