Eye Specialist Say Too Much Fat Was Taken Out After Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

I got uppers and lowers done a year and a half ago and not happy with them.. I went to eye specialist and they basically told me there is too much fat taken out and that my eyes look hollow and one lower lid droops more then the other so they look uneven. One dr ( an othalmologist) suggest to insert skin tissue underneath the eye to lift them and another othalmologist offered canthoplexy then I went to see a plastic surgeon suggested upper eye correction(needs to be more rounded). What to do!

Hollow eyes after surgery

+1

It is evry difficult to judge based on your photos but it is possible to take out too much fat from your lower lids which can cause them to look sunken in.I would do what you did and focus on hwat bothers you the most.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

New Photo

+1

Please submit photos with your face relaxed and looking directly into the camera as well as a closeup of your eyes only so I can provide you an opinion.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid revisional surgery

+1

It is difficult to tell from your photo since you are smiling.  Generally, if there is lower eyelid retraction after prior lower blepharoplasty, corrective surgery may include some kind of lower eyelid graft. If hollowness is the only issue, injecting fillers (or possibly fat) can improve the problem.  What is most important is to know the exact the problem in order to find the best treatment solution. Consider seeing an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hollow upper eyelids

+1

I agree that your upper eyelids look hollow. If they were fuller before surgery, then your surgeon may have performed old-fashioned surgery, taking out too much fat.

Revision surgery or fillers in the eyelids are technically challenging, and generally most surgeons do not have as much experience with revisions as with primary surgery. I suggest that you ask the surgeon to show you before and after pictures of patients with the same problem as you who had the treatment he or she is proposing.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Photo in upgaze minimizes lower eyelid issues.

+1

WIthout the benefit of assessing you, it is impossible to determine the extent of your concerns.  Obviously you are unhappy enough to seek out other opinions.  I would strongly encourage you to get additional opinions and not make a decision until you find a surgeon who make a lot of sense to you and puts you at ease.  It is important to understand that you may be dissatisfied with your prior surgery but getting a fix from a well meaning surgeon might actually make you worse.  Do not make the mistake of making dissatisfaction with a surgery the basis for becoming a surgical cripple.  All of these fixes also have the potential to further harm.  From the  photo, you are very attractive even if you found your eyelid surgery unsatisfactory.  Proceed with caution.

Problems after blepharoplasty

+1

Your upper eyelid do look slightly hollowed, however, without seeing your preop photos it is hard to tell whether this is a result of the surgery or just your anatomy. On this photos, I don't see any obvious lower eyelid problems/ ectropion, but I guess there is some problem as two ophthalmologists offered surgical correction. Upper eyelid holowness can be improved with filler or fat injections.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Not happy with blepharoplasty

+1

The upper lid hollowness can be improved with Juvederm injection. It is difficult to see what's going on in the lower lids. Post different views, close-up pictures of the eyes under natural lighting preferably from overhead. Avoid skin grafts at all costs because they never look nice enough at your age.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon