After BA Breasts Are Sitting Far Apart? (photo)

I'm one week post-op from my BA. I'm 5'8" 135 lbs. I chose 450cc high profile silicone implants under the muscle. My breasts before BA had decent a gap between them. Now that I have the implants in they are sitting far apart and make me look wider/heavier. My PS tried to make some space between my breast bone and my skin so that the implants could hopefully settle a little closer. Is it possible for my breasts to settle closer? Or, should I reduce my implant size to fix the issue?

Distance between breasts.

+1

I do not think implants will "settle" closer, because gravity pulls down, not inward. I do not think revising to a smaller size will change this either. If your implants come to rest on the convexity of the rib, they will probably stay where they are. It may be better to try for the visual appearance of cleavage through the careful selection of the right bra, rather than more surgery.

South Bend Plastic Surgeon

After BA Breasts Are Sitting Far Apart

+1

As I see on these attached photos, the implants appear to be properly positioned, that is they seem centered upon the nipples and areolae. If your breasts are widely separated before surgery as you note, they will be similarly separated after surgery. 

I note that the photos show your arms elevated, and this will distort the implant appearance and will usually push them outward. WIth arms at your side the positioning will likely appear to be better.  

Whatever you decide, have some patience and allow at least 3 months before making any decisions for surgery as the implants will settle and may appear quite satisfactory to you even if they don't right now. 

Thanks for your question, and best wishes. 

Implants far apart

+1
If you raise your arms above your head, as you have done in the photo, it will distort the shape and isn't instructive as to the postop appearance of the breasts. I do not believe that you have malpositioning. The implants need to settle down before you can make any judgments.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

After BA Breasts Are Sitting Far Apart?

+1

Besides the wide sternal look the infra mammary area also seem to have asymmetry. Best to obtain second opinions in person. 

Submuscular Breast Implants Far Apart One Week After Surgery - Why?

+1

Your implants appear to be correctly positioned.  The pectoralis muscle as it inserts into the sternum makes about a 10-15 degree angle with the ribs (there is very little space there for the implant to move towards the sternum).  Because the implant is inorganic and immutable, over time it gets closer and closer to the edge of the sternum, lifting the muscle up.  And since this is done bilaterally, over time you will get more and more cleavage.  The high profile implant that your plastic surgeon used puts even more stretch on the pectoralis muscle, therefore allowing the implant to go more towards the sternum, stretching the muscle out and again giving you more cleavage.

The short answer to your question is, over time you will gain more cleavage, but of course, this is limited by how far onto the sternum your pectoralis muscle inserts.  If it was pretty good before surgery, it should be at least that good, if not better after surgery.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Breast Far Apart After Breast Augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question and photos. It is difficult to give you an accurate opinion without your pre operative photos. It also appears that your pictures are taken with your arms raised which will distort your breasts. At any rate you are still very early in the post operative period. The final results will not be seen for at least 3 to 6 months. At this juncture your healing will be characterized by inflammation, active scarring and a tight tissue pocket. Over time the swelling and scarring process will subside and the soft tissues will relax and accommodate allowing your implants to settle into their intended position achieving the desired result.

From your narrative it sounds that your breasts already had a significant gap pre-operatively. If so, understand that the implants are centered under the nipple and so the gap will usually remain widened. Larger implants will make the breast appear closure, but also wider. Which as you stated, you felt makes you look heavier. If your surgeon were to place the implants more towards the breast bone rather than centering it, then your nipples will be displaced to the sides, making them wider apart.

I would recommend that you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon and make sure that you communicate your concerns. Remember that you are early in the process, so be patient. I hope this helps.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Implants and central chest

+1

The position of your implants along the central chest will be determined alot by your anatomy. This can be adjusted by placing the implants above the muscle and using a wider implant, but may increase the risk of symmastia if too aggressive.  Everything is a trade off.

Appearance one week after breast augmentation

+1

Thanks for your pictures.  Some preoperative pictures would be helpful as well.  Just a couple of comments.  One week after a breast augmentation is too early to make any judgements on implant position.  Your breasts and implants will undergo significant changes over the next several weeks/months as your muscle and skin expand and relax.  I would not think about changing size at this time, your implants will settle some.  Your reaction is a normal one, but it is important to be patient.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS