How Soon After BA Can I Have Another Surgery?

I am a healthy active 31 year old having a BA with vertical lift split plane. How long after my BA do I have to wait to have a L5-S1 disc replacement done? The neuro/ortho surgeon will be going anteriorly... Any thoughts? Thank you for your time.

Waiting after breast surgery

+3

hi,

this is a ongoing question for plastic surgeons. The data on this topic is mixed. It takes at LEAST 6-12 weeks for a decent scar capsule to form around an implant. The scar capsule is a protective collagen layer that forms around ALL implants.

There is some data from the orthopedic literature about their implants ( mechanic knee and hip implants) that can be at risk for infection if the patient has dental work or other surgery. The consensus among my orthopedic colleagues is about 3-4 months as well. 

The data for plastic surgery is lacking simply because NO ONE will willingly subject themselves to surgery just to test a theory. 

Clearly back surgery is a big procedure and will take time to recover. If you can wait, the 3-4 month rule would be a good conservative answer. I would try and get your plastic surgeon and your orthopedic / spine doctor to coordinate your care. 

Bennett Yang, MD
washington, dc

Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Time around surgeries

+2

Hi A. If you are having back surgery for a disc problem, it would make sense to do that first and then have the breast implants following your recovery. You could ask your spine surgeon when that would be but really, why not wait until you are sure you are fine with no residual issues from your back and then do your breasts; this is elective surgery after all. Best of luck. 

David R. Stephens, MD

Time between surgery

+1

The time between operations will be determined as much if not more by your spine surgeon than the plastic surgeon.  I would estimate that one month would be sufficient.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Three months in between surgeries

+1

Hello. I recommend at least three months between surgeries. It is important to speak to both surgeons before going through with either.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Back Surgery After Breast Surgery

+1

That depends a little how much your back is hurting you. When you have spine surgery you will be on your stomach for a portion of the surgery.   You want your incisions to be healed well enough to lie on them without causing any wound problems. Generally this is 6 weeks.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Back surgery after breast surgery

+1

Generally 6 weeks is a good time to consider your second surgery if no complications.  You should talk to your Plastic Surgeon and your back Surgeon to plan the timing.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Anterior Approach for L5 S1 after Breast Augmentation and Lift

+1

After breast augmentation and lift, a patient typically needs at least 6 weeks in a case of uncomplicated healing.  Obviously, impending neurological compromise trumps this recommendation.  The anterior approach for L5 S1 is a big surgery, and ideally you should be completely recovered from one surgery before undergoing this one.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Surgery after breast augmentation or mastopexy

+1

surgery after breast augmentation or mastopexy

most surgeries are at 80% of healing by 6 weeks.  you may still be sore longer but surgery shoud be fine

Surgery After BA??

+1

The answer really depends upon the urgency of your back surgery, and your healing process after your BA. Consider starting with your breast surgeon to answer your question. Most would require at least 8 to 12 weeks post operatively after you are completely healed. Surgery might be done sooner if their is an urgent issue. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

+1

Once it is clear that your incision is healing normally, I see no reason why you couldn't proceed with your neck surgery.--10 days or so.  But do check with the two surgeons, who could have other ideas, and they will decide. 

All the best.