Post Accutane, Have Scars Left on My Face. What Are My Options?

Hi, I have just finished with my accutan treatment and it has been almost 1 month now. However, I have those annoying scars left on my face. So I have been active with facial peeling with cream or DIY peeling mask/cream (with lemon and sugar). I am aware of to wait with chemical peeling or laser treaments a period after an accutan treatment. But is "home"peeling harmful?

Hello

+2

In each practice the treatments vary. In our practice for acne scars we do Profractional laser, Micro laser peel, DOT co2 laser or even a mini face lift to pull the skin and help remove get rid of the deep holes caused by acne.

Accutane and scar treatments

+2

Do not do any peels or lasers home or office treatments for 6months at least, often a year after stopping accutane/isotretinoin.  There was an old study which showed increase risk of keloid scarring, and we like to make sure the skin has fully healed before doing any scar treatments. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist

Treatment of Scarring After Accutane

+2

Accutane is extremely effective is stopping active acne, but old acne scars can often be left behind after the treatment has finished. Different resurfacing therapies, including topical creams, chemical peels, laser or even dermabrasion, may be recommended, depending on the type of scarring you want to treat.

The recommendation is typically that you wait at least 6 months before undergoing any type of resurfacing treatments. topical therapy with creams or at-home peels are usually OK, but you should check with your dermatologist first. I have found that the Accutane continues to work even after the treatment has finished. Many of the marks left behind will improve in the months following therapy with no specific resurfacing treatments.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Home peeling and Acne scars and waiting after accutane

+2

Most surgeons wait at least one year from the time that you did the accutane. Home peeling can be done if it is really superficial. I would wait though unless your are carefully directed. The scars can be approached through a multilayered approach.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon