After 90 Lb Weight Loss, Sagging 34B Breasts with Large Areola Need Breast Lift?

I've lost 90 pounds in the past 5 years, fluctuating often between 160 and my current weight, 135. Finally the weight fluctuations are over, 135 is the weight to stay. But unfortunately it's taken a toll on my boobs. The areolas are very large and point downward.They have been a constant source of insecurity and frustration. So I wanted to ask people in the know, what procedure would be best for me to lift and also reduce areola? Any ideas on cost?

+2

Dear Tuc,

Thank you for your question and photos.  I recommend a vertical breast lift with augmentation for you.  It is important to choose an implant of the proper width (base diameter of the ideal breast with cleavage) rather than just a 'small implant' to give you upper pole fullness.  The following link is an example of a augmentation mastopexy.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast concerns after weight loss

+2

You need to see a local plastic surgeon about your concerns and let him/her know of your goals and expectations and let him/her come up with a plan to address your needs.  My recommendations would be dependent on what you desire so see a local surgeon for more information.

Curtis Wong, MD

Options for breast enhancement after weight loss

+2

Congratulations on your accomplishment.  Weight loss can certainly take a toll on a woman's breasts.  Based on your photos, it looks like you would benefit from a breast lift (mastopexy) with areola reduction.  If you would like to restore volume to your breasts, you could combine the breast lift with an implant and/or fat grafting to your breasts.  Fat grafting uses liposuction to harvest fat from other areas of your body (like tummy, love handles and/or thighs) and move that fat to your breasts to improve volume.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

+2

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment. Most patients who  have lost this amount of weight benefit from breast lifting/augmentation surgery. Based on the photographs, I think you may benefit from this combination surgery; of course, much will depend on exactly what your goals are.

At some point, you will benefit from in-person consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly. In my practice, I find the use of goal pictures helpful during this communication process.

Breast lifting surgery will also involve reducing the areola size. This operation is associated with more scarring than breast augmentation surgery done alone.

For some patients the necessity of additional scars  associated with breast lifting surgery is a “dealbreaker” ; for these patients it is better to avoid breast surgery altogether.

On the other hand, many patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations at the right time of their lives  psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do in the field of plastic surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Breast lift

+2

It looks like you could benefit from a lift and an augmentation to provide more volume. You may be a candidate for a vertical lift, but an in-office exam is essential.

Breast lift after weight fluctuation

+2

When one gains and loses weight repeatedly, there is also repeated stretching and relaxation of the skin.  This eventually results in some drooping of the breast.  And with the droop, the nipples are too low on the breast as well.  In essence, there too much lax skin and surgery must be done to remove the excess skin and tighten it around the existing breast tissue.

Assuming your weight is and will be stable, the questions you must answer is whether you are content with the volume of your breasts or whether you would like additional volume with an implant.  You also have to decide if you want to have fullness of the upper portion of the breast, which is best obtained with a small implant.

I agree with my colleagues -- a circum-vertical breast lift, with or without an implant, would seem to be the ideal solution for you.  It would lift the breasts and also allow for reduction of the areolar diameter.

Make sure you visit several surgeons in consultation before deciding to proceed.

Good luck!

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS

New York City

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

After 90 Lb Weight Loss, Sagging 34B Breasts with Large Areolae Need Breast Lift?

+2

The areolae can be reduced and the breasts can be lifted with a circumvertical lift or lollipop lift.   This may cost $5000 at the low end.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast lift question

+2

Congratulations! I think a circumvertical lift would do the trick. If you decide you want bigger breast later after your lift you have that option.Good luck and please see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement after Weight Loss

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss, that is fantastic!  You are a great candidate for a breast lift, with or without an implant.  A lift will reduce the size of the areola, bring them to a normal position and reshape the breast.  On my website are pictures and more information regarding the procedure.  Hope this helps!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss and Breast Tissue

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  I would recommend that you maintain your ideal weight for 6 months prior to surgery to avoid further changes in skin laxity.  Based on your photos, it would appear that you are an ideal candidate for breast lift (Mastopexy).  A reduction of the areolas is inherent during this procedure.  You might also want to consider having a breast augmentation at the same time you have a lift to replace loss of breast volume, depending on your goals.  The advantage of having both procedures done at one time is that you will only have to pay for anesthesia once and will have only one recovery period.  My best advice would be to schedule a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who has vast experience in breast surgery.

Mark Deutsch, MD