Sharp Pain After 26 Years of Encapsulation. What Happened?

First surgery in 1985. Sponge left in L breast for 4 months. Removal.Implant was punctured. leaking. replaced. fell to naval level. sewn in. severe encapsulation from day one. continued pain.aggressive massage. After stretching last night and a severe pain, encapsulation was just gone. NOW, no hardness, no immobilty, no pain in breast. bruise and tenderness at lateral edge of left breast.

Pain no more

+1

It sounds as if you did your own capsulotomy.sometimes patients will call after some exercise or squeezing and say all of a sudden my breast is soft and what they did was to rupture their capsule.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast Pain after Breast augmentation

+1

We need more information. It sounds like you ruptured the capsule laterally and that is why you have a bruise. My question is what type of implants do you have and what exactly is the operative history. You need to return to your plastic surgeon for an examination and to discuss the options you have. Capsular contracture is a challenging problem.

Leo Lapuerta Jr. MD

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgery

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Old implant

+1

With bruising on the side of your breast, you may have ruptured or the capsule may have ruptures. Get checked out by your surgeon.

Probable ruptured implant

+1

Get to your surgeon for an evaluation as soon as you can. It sounds like your implant has ruptured and needs replacement.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

The implants from the 80s almost all are leaking or broken and need to be removed

+1

What you have described is consistent with the silicone gel implants of the 80s, all of which have leaked silicone or broken and need to be removed and if desired replaced. I have seen so many of ladies just like you who have suffered in silence with their hard painful breast not realizing that there was any thing that could be done to help them. When these 80s silicone implants  leak or break, the body forms hard tight scar tissue around the implant. This causes distortion, deformity, asymmetry and often pain. While this is usually gradual and over a long period of time it seems to be a natural thing for the patients. It sounds like you have just had a rupture of the scar around your leaking or broken implant which will give you some relief from the tightness now. Actually there was a technique in the late 80s for the plastic surgeon to squeeze the hard breast and break the scar tissue just as you have described. It was a really bad idea and often resulted in the liquid gel being injected into the normal breast tissue with often very bad results. It is interesting that this all came about as who I believe was a Miami Dolphins Cheerleader with breast implant that were hard met here Dolphin Football player at the air port, He gave her a big hug and all of a sudden there was a pop and her hard breast became soft. The plastic surgeon had scheduled her for surgery to remove the hardness went a head with the surgery and found the the scar capsule had been broken. The result was plastic surgeons breaking the scar with often really bad complications. 

As to your situation, I would recommend that you contact your plastic surgeon and arrange to have your leaking or broken implants removed with the overlying scar tissue. The question of wether to replace them or not is up to you. I doubt that you will be happy after all these years being flat chested, so probably new improved implants are in order with or with out a breast lift. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Breast capsular contracture suddenly soft

+1

Dear Old Maid in Montgomery:

The story you tell suggests either your capsule or your implant has ruptured. Please find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and seek follow-up. If the implant has ruptured it should be removed before more scar forms. It can be replaced at the same surgery if you still desire the breast augmentation. 

I am assuming you have a silicone gel filled breast implants, because doctors always assume the worst. If you have a saline filled implant, and the volume has not decreased, the implant is probably fine. Still, the safest course of action is to get checked out in person.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Breast Pain after Stretching

+1

Your description could suggest rupture of the capsule around your implant, possibly also of the implant.

You should be seen and evaluated by a plastic surgeon.

Stephan Baker, MD