4.5 Months Post Rhinoplasty: Lifted Weights at Day 15 - Will it Affect my Results?

i had rhinoplasty four and a half months back i still have some swelling left in it,after 15 days of my rhinoplasty i started weightlifting with care for 5 days then gave my nose rest for 10 days then again came back to normal schedule and as i am in body building i take hormone injections so i want to know that will it affect my final results of my nose or shape of my nose and when this swelling will go down and i can see my final results.....

Swelling and exercise after rhinoplasty

+2

Dear rhinoplasty patient,
It appears that you have followed a proper protocol for post rhinoplasty and started your exercise two weeks after surgery. Swelling following rhinoplasty will resolve over time, in most cases it takes up to one year to see the final results. If you had a picture it would be more helpful to evaluate your nose.
Good luck and good healing.

Rhinoplasty and weight lifting

+1

The weight lifting regimen can cause elevation of venous pressure, which in turn can prolong resolution of swelling. Although you don't say what hormones are being injected, these can also potentially prolong swelling. You may want to consider backing off of both of these for 6-8 weeks to allow the swelling to subside.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Heavy lifting two weeks following routine rhinoplasty is fine

+1

Heavy lifting two weeks following routine rhinoplasty is fine. As mentioned, the main risk with heavy lifting earlier is a nosebleed and could theoretically result in a hematoma (collection of blood under the nasal skin) but this is unlikely. I do not think that your weight lifting will cause and long-term issues with your rhinoplasty result.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should not be weight lifting after Rhinoplasty

+1

You really should not have been weight lifting 15 days after your Rhinoplasty as the increase in blood flow would definitely increase the risk of bleeding and swelling in the nose.  I advise all my Rhinoplasty patints to avoid strenuous activity for 1 month after their Rhinoplasty.  There's no way of knowing if this has caused your proplonged swelling but for sure, it didn't help things along.

Exercise after Rhinoplasty

+1
I have my patients abstain from excersice for two weeks post surgery. I do not believe that the weight lifting you did would cause any long term changes in your recovery. Eighty percent of the swelling from your surgery should dissipate in the first six months with the remainder swelling slowly subsiding for the following three to six months. I would be more concerned with monitoring the hormone injections and what those may do to you long term. I hope you are under the guidance of a qualified physician.

Michael Elam, MD

Heavy Lifting After Rhinoplasty

+1

I restrict my patients for 2 weeks from heavy lifting after rhinoplasty.  The primary concern with heavy straining after rhinoplasty (especially if you had your septum or turbinates operated on) is bleeding.  I do not believe that your weight lifting at 15 days would damage the result of your surgery provided you didn't drop the weights on your nose!

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lifting weights 15 days after rhino

+1

Just out of curiosity - would it have been better to ask that question on day 14 as opposed to now.  Swelling after rhino usually subsides completely in 9-12 months, so be patient.  I doubt you did any harm.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon