After 5 1/2 Weeks After a 2 1/2 Hour Open Rhinoplasty my Nose Looks Very Long. How Much Should I Expect It to Decrease?

After 5 1/2 Weeks After a 2 1/2 Hour Open Rhinoplasty my Nose Looks Very Long.  How Much Should I Expect It to Decrease?

Too Early For Final Results To Show

+1

Dear Petunia,

At about 6 weeks after an open Rhinoplasty, it is too soon to assess the results of your surgery. At this time, your swelling persists and you need to be a little more patient so a full recovery could be established.

Usually, it takes around a year post surgery that all the swelling will subside and your final results will show. Some patients with a thick skin take a little more time.

Nonetheless, during the process of recovery the nose will undergo changes and if you are worried about a tip protrusion then you have to let nature takes its course so recovery is complete. Then, if a revision is required it will be best planned and performed by a board certified surgeon of ample experience in that field.

Thank you for your question and best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

It is a question of time

+1

Thank you for your question. Usually it takes months for the swelling to go down and up to a year. During that time your nose will continue to change. So I would advise you wait and convey your questions to your plastic surgeon. He/ she will want you to have the results you want.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Be Patient with a Nose That is Too Long 6 Weeks After a Rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling from an open rhinoplasty takes at least 6 months, and as long as 1 year to completely resolve. Most of this swelling is located in the tip and can make your nose look longer now than it will ultimately look. While a round, poorly defined, somewhat heavy appearance to the tip 6 weeks after surgery will likely change significantly over the next 5-11 months, it is unlikely that the length of your nose will change very much. If it looks only "slightly" long you will probably be okay. If it looks "very" long, it is likely that it will still look too long to you once all the swelling has resolved. In any case, you need to be patient at this point. Let the swelling slowly go away, and if it looks too long in a year, it can be shortened with relatively minor revision.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

5 weeks post rhinoplasty

+1

At five weeks after rhinoplasty, you are still quite swollen. You have to give it time for things to settle down.

Nose seems too long 5 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

I would be very helpful to see the pictures in order to give you a good advise.  As a rule, 5 weeks is definitely a very insufficient time to judge about rhinoplasty results. However, if your nose looks too long now, it may be that it will not change too much even with enough time allowed. The swelling will come down some more, the tip cartilages may resettle a bit, but it is hard to predict if these changes will result in shortening of your nose.  At this juncture, you need to be patient and give it at least 3-4 months before getting too concerned.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Results are not perfect 6 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

It is hard to evaluate this without pictures.

Generally, results after rhinoplasty do not stabilize for at least three months after surgery.  A "long" nose may shorten a little as tip swelling goes down, but tips generally fall with time so I don't know (again, without pictures it is hard to evaluate) if you are likely to improve or worsen from the perspective of nasal length.

If your breathing is okay and you are not grossly disfigured then you can afford to wait before making any decisions about a revision.  If 6 months pass and you do not like the result make sure your surgeon understands your concerns and can adequately explain what will be done for correction.  If the plan doesn't make sense (or you lose confidence in your surgeon) you should get another opinion.

Daniel Greenwald, MD