Should I Get the Hump in my Nose Removed Before I Consider Alarplasty?

Hello, I am an African female considering rhinoplasty. The main problem I have with my nose it the hump in it but I am also considering making my nose narrower. I have been reading a lot about hump removal and alarplasty and I would like to know: should I get the hump removed before I consider an separate alarplasty procedure? Is it possible that the removal of the hump (and any refinement that occurs during that procedure) will make my nose appear narrower?

Best not to over-operate on an "ethnic" nose

+2

Your photos are very helpful. It appears that removal of the hump and narrowing of your nose would be very reasonable and provide you with a nice improvement/refinement. However, this should not be overdone.

Regarding your ala, I would leave this up to the plastic surgeon operating on you to determine whether or not this is warranted. This decision can even be made intraoperatively. It is much better for you to have a more natural look and not an overcorrected one versus giving you an over-operated nose with loss of ethnicity. An alarplasty can always be performed at a later date, often in an office simply using local anesthesia.

Hump removal

+2

I would definitely recommend for you to approach rhinoplasty as a "two stage" procedure. You will definitely see narrowing of your nose and tip with inital rhinoplasty. It is normal and attractive for African american faces to have a little more width at the nose base. In fact one complaint of African American patients who have had excess nostril narrowing is that the nose no longer fits their face or identity. You may find that the initilal rhinoplasty meets your needs but if not it is simple to go ahead in 6 months or so with some nostril narrowing. This can be done under local anesthesia as an office procedure.  If you do it all at once and don't like it there is no going back.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Hi Paprika,  Thank you for submitting photos.  From your pictures, it appears that if you have a complete rhinoplasty, that your hump can be removed and your nose narrowed by breaking the bones- this will narrow the nose.  It does not appear to me that you would need to address the alae.  I would recommend that you consult with a couple of Board Certified Plastic Surgeons prior to having your surgery.  This way, you can have your photo taken, and they can show you what results you could expect with the surgery.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Bump Removal Prior to Alarplasty

+1
Unlikely  -  actually VERY unlikely-  that any work on the profile will
have any impact on the width of your nostrils.  However, with a
rhinoplasty that increases tip projection, it is possible to reduce
somewhat the wideness of the nostrils, but still, I advise most of my
patients with your concerns that I will perform the alarplasty if in
fact I feel it is indicated, and if I am not sure, I will wait to see
how the nose looks after a few months then consider then the alarplasty.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump removal and alar plasty

+1

I often perform alarplasty in those patients that is is indicated at the same time as other nasal procedures( i.e hump removal).

Nasal Hump Removal with Alarplasty

+1

Lowering of the bridge of the nose most frequently creates a wider appearing nose from the front view. For this reason narrowing of the bony portion of the nose would be performed. When the upper/bony portion of the nose is narrower, then the ala/nostrils can frequently look wider. Some of this depends on your own cosmetic goals and some of it depends on what your surgeon thinks would look the most balanced and natural. In cases where it is not readily apparent whether narrowing the nostrils will be beneficial, the decision can be made during the surgery after the nose has been narrowed. In any case you can reasonably expect a nice natural look that will compliment your other facial features. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Rhinoplasty for the African-American nose.

+1

A rhinoplasty will enhance your appearance and not look artificial if you see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does many A-A noses. It should all be done at the same time, hump, tip and alae.

Hump reduction and alaplasty at same time

+1

If your are interested in having both procedures done, there is no reason to have two different surgeries with the added expense and recovery time.  If you are unsure about the alaplasty, have the hump removed and it may change your perspective of the nostrils.  Please see someone who has done a few of these procedures.  Have the plastic surgeon show you some representative photos of his patients.  Good luck!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Hump

+1

There is no reason not to do both at the same time. This assume that both are appropriate. Pick you surgeon carefully. m any African American nose are over done.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD