African Female with Acne Breakout on the Chin That Has Left PIH? What Can I Do About Scar

I have mostly breakout on my chin area. They are leaving ppost acne scars. I have heard about Obagi and was on the Clenziderm for my acne and I am wondering will their other product work for PIH. Also I read about Meladerm and the wonder that it does as well. I just want to find something that will give some results without making my skin worse.

Hyperpigmentation after Acne how to treat

+2

Without doing something really invasive, I would do some topicals that will lighten your skin like Retin A, hydroquinone, and hydrocortisone. I would also have suggestions for doing some treatments at home with some guidance.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne Breakouts on Chin

+2

The first thing is that the active acne needs to be treated and well-controlled before the PIH can be addressed appropriately. If the Clenziderm isn't doing enough (which it doesn't in many cases), you might need to go on a stronger prescription from a physician. PIH from acne tends to resolve itself over time, but it can be helped along with light laser treatments like the Cutera Laser Genesis, which targets superficial reds, like PIH. Meladerm isn't going to help; it's not a great product to begin with, but it's meant for deeper melasma and browns, not superficial PIH like acne leaves behind. I would suggest a visit to a board-certified dermatologist who treats traditional and cosmetic patients; he or she will be able to evaluate and treat your active acne, as well as help address the PIH.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Options for hyperpigmentation caused by acne

+1

Pigmentation after an acne lesion is common in darker skin types.  People confuse darker pigmentation as a scar, but hyperpigmentation does not have texture, it only has discoloration. To treat this, I would recommend three things:  sunscreen, hydroquinone and Retin A, allowing these products time to work.  I would also encourage you to see a dermatologist to ensure you don’t get any new lesions from acne.  Other preventative measures you could utilize include: topical and oral antibiotics, Accutane, laser treatments such as the Smoothbeam and the IPL with acne head.  All of these products and procedures mentioned will help treat the scarring caused from the acne.

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating hyperpigmentation from acne in African American skin

+1

Hyperpigmentation, or blemishes, is a common side affect of acne in people with dark skin (this is different from scarring which is a textural change rather than just a color change). The best way to address the hyperpigmenation from acne is to treat the acne. Often, when the acne is under control, the blemishes fade without special attention. Ways to make these fade faster would be to add a bleaching cream, a brightening agent, or a chemical peel. The chemical peel can also help the acne clear faster.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Acne with pigmented scars

+1

When acne causes dark scars we must deal with two problems at once to get a good result. Have to stop the acne and would like to begin correcting pigmentation at same time. I like using a retinoid and azelex  ,each daily to begin treating this. Later you can do peels, use bleaching creams etc. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist