African American Rhinoplasty. Nostril Reduction, Bridge and Tip Definition? (photo)

Hello, I am a black women seeking Rhinoplasty. I would like to have my nostrils reduced, a defined bridge and a tip, if cartilage will be used I prefer my own tissue. I presume a may have to travel ( I am located in Alberta, Canada). If there are any specialists on board who can accommodate distant consultations, and has adequate experience working with ethnic patients please respond. I have attached before and after photos of desired results I would like achieve. Thank you

African American Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello, and great to hear you are doing your research prior to having any surgery performed. All of the things you mentioned are possible with rhinoplasty, and your surgery can yield a great result when performed properly. Your own natural cartilage and tissue are ideal for use during rhinoplasty as compared to artificial materials. When looking for a surgeon, consider the following:

1) Credentials

2) Board certification

3) Fellowship training

4) A good amount of before and after photos showcasing the surgeon's result

5) Great patient testimonials

Traveling frequently takes place when undergoing rhinoplasty, as the ideal surgeon for you is sometimes in another area. When seeking the advice of an ethnic rhinoplasty specialist, examine his or her website for information on distance consults and local hotel accommodations. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

African american Rhinoplasty

+1

Many of our African Canadian patients request narrowing and refinement of there nose. The greatest challenge in these patients is the thickness of the skin. Thick skin camouflages the changes made to the underlying nasal framework. It is important that you compare your nose to someone who also has thick skin to give your self a realistic expectation of what's possible. Thick Skin is like a ski glove. No matter how small the hand inside,  the glove always looks big.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

African American Rhinoplasty. Nostril Reduction, Bridge and Tip Definition?

+1

Your tip can be refined.  The hump can be reduced, and the bridge, narrowed.  The nostrils and alar base can be reduced as well if you would like.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

African American Rhinoplasty options to reduce nostrils and create bridge and tip defintion

+1

The concerns you have with your nose and changes you're looking to make are pretty common in my experience. An alar base reduction can be used to narrow the nostrils. The bridge can be built up using cartilage grafts from your septum (and/or ear if more cartilage is needed). Controlled bone fractures to narrow your nasal bones may also be helpful as well.

Tip refinement can be achieved via suture techniques and also by using cartilage grafts in many cases.

One limitation in your specific case is your skin thickness, especially that of your tip. In some patients there is a fibro-fatty fat pad that can be removed to thin the skin somewhat but your overall skin thickness will be a limiting factor in how much narrowing and refinement is possible.

I offer virtual consultations which prove to be very helpful for my patients who are coming from out of state and internationally.

You can learn more about rhinoplasty in non-Caucasian patients at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

+1

You can have some improvement in your nose.  However you have to be realistic and not compare yourself with anybody else.  The desired look that you have posted has one very major difference with yours, you have very thick skin which she does not.  Thick skin in Black noses results in interference with manifestation of the modifications that are made to the cartilaginous framework.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty for nostril reduction bridge and tip definition

+1

Nostril reduction is accomplished with an alar-plasty , and  tip definition is accomplished with tip suturing techniques and potential grafting of cartilage to the tip as well  to give more projection and narrowness. Osteotomies will  narrow the bridge,  while cartilage grafts harvested from inside the nose can build up the bridge. It's important to have realistic expectations going into this type of surgery, since thick nasal tip skin can mask the results of a rhinoplasty.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Tonya, based upon your photo's it appears that you desire more definition and balance.  This can be accomplished by building up the dorsum, narrowing the bony base and nostrils and refining the tip.  Based upon your photos and desires this can likely be accomplished with septum or ear cartilage.  

Best

Anthony E. Brissett MD

Anthony E. Brissett, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

African-American rhinoplasty for more aesthetic appearance.

+1

African-American rhinoplasty for you would involve narrowing your nostrils defining the bridge and using cartilage from septum to add to your bridge as shown in the photos you submitted. The thickness of your skin will determine how to narrow your tip can be made.

Rhinoplasty with Boriscosmetic

+1

We are in Los Angeles and have been doing noses for over 30 years. If you would like to have a virtual consultation please contact Adam at 310-204-5822 to set up. Many patients will fly in for rhinoplasty surgery to ensure they get the results they are looking for. We coordinate everything from travel to hotel stay. Hope to hear from you soon.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS