Is A Medpor Implant Right For Me To Reduce My Ethnic Look? (photo)

As you can see from the image, my nose is very wide, thick skin, and large nostrils. I'll like to make modest changes and retain my ethnic look. A surgeon recommended Medpor implants and nostril reduction under general anesthesia as my ONLY option. My research on Medpor implants and the idea of general anesthesia is a little unsettling. I will consult other physicians for more opinions but I just wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Medpor Implants and Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

I have been performing Ethnic and African American Rhinoplasty for the last 15 years. Most if not all of my surgery is performed under local anesthesia with sedation. There are many implant choices but the one i prefer is custom carved silicone implants. They are easy to shape and look great. Also, unlike medpor implants, if they get infected or need to be removed, this is easily performed under local anesthesia. As for the tip and nostril, I would recommend tip defatting and cartilage grafting with slight nostril narrowing. I have dedicated a website for African American rhinoplasty, you can see many before and afters and read my philosophy on the surgery.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.africanamericanrhinoplasty.com

Run away fast!

+2

Hi,

If a surgeon recommends a Medpor implant for your nose - RUN! Implants do not belong in the nose usually but the worst one of them all is Medpor.  It is horribly tough to remove and gets glued in and it has a higher risk of infection than natural cartilage.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyspecialistsurgeon.com/choosing-a-rhinoplasty-specialist-surgeon/complications-in-rhinoplasty/

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

No reason why you need an implant

+2

We do a lot of ethnic rhinoplasty in patients like you. Depending on how much of a change you are looking for there is a range of things that can be done.

The problem with medpor implants is that long term you can have significant issues and problems and since their are many better options using your own cartilage, we would recommend seeking out other opinions.

Peyman Solieman, MD

Medpor Nasal Implant

+1

You have a number of options available to you and you are wise to get additional opinions. Surgeons have differing approaches to nasal surgery. Some will recommend general anesthesia and other will recommend sedation or even local anesthesia. As concerns augmentation of the nasal bridge most surgeons will prefer tissue such as cartilage to accomplish this. However, implants such as Medpor and Silicone do have a role in this area. Implants have their benefits and disadvantages. Implants can work extremely well if designed and placed properly. I usually employ them when there is not enough cartilage available from the ear and nose. Rib cartilage has its own challenges and problems and I will usually try to employ implants if possible before resorting to harvesting cartilage from the rib. You appear to want a natural, non-operated look and I think that is quite reasonable. You surgeon will be able to honor your goals and not be overly aggressive. Best of Luck Dr Harrell

Web reference: http://www.westonsurgery.com

Medpor Rhinoplasty

+1

Studies have shown up to a 50% complication rate with the use of Medpor for ear reconstruction and there is most probably a similar complication rate with rhinoplasty. The most detrimental complication is extrusion of the implant throught the skin. I would advise against Medpor in the nose and instead use autologous tissue.

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Medpor implants not recommended

+1

We do not use Medpor implants in our practice due to the higher than normal infection rates compared to silastic implants.  We do not routinely use piriform nasal base implants, only in very select cases.  The alarplasty procedure is performed under a local anesthesia to reduce the nostril width and does not need any general anesthesia whatsoever.  

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/photogallery/neckliftandlipo_photos12.html

Is Medpor implant absolutely needed for conservative nasal augmentation?

+1
If you want a conservative change to your nose keeping your racial characteristics, you do not need a Medpor implant. Your surgery can be done with local anesthesia. You need your nostrils narrowed by resecting the base of your nostrils. You also need increased tip projection and shaping that can be done with cartilage grafts and sutures. If you need your nasal dorsum augmented, there are many choices including septal cartilage and other variation of cartilage grafts. I think this is what you are looking for. Try to find someone who will do this for you.

Web reference: Http://www.BetterPlasticSurgery.com

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Medpor implants for the ethnic nose.

+1

There are many options for increasing the height of the nose (nasal dorsum) to reduce your ethnic look.  Foreign materials such as Medpor and silicone are to be avoided.  The problem with these materials  is that they are  never fully incorporated into your body.  This means that you can have a problem with infection and possible extrusion even years later.  Using your own body cartilage is by far and away the best way of  reducing your ethnic look.  This is a more difficult operation as the surgeon has to harvest your cartilage (usually from your nasal septum), shape it and then ensure that it is in the right position and fixed adequately. There may be problems with partial absorption however, once healed it will never move nor have any problems such as extrusion since it is now part of your body.    

This surgery may be performed ether under general anesthesia or under local with I.V. sedation.  There are pros and cons with each approach and this should be fully discussed with your surgeon. 

Medpor nasal implants

+1

It would be beneficial to increase the height of your nasal dorsum. There are several options to achieve the increase in height.. I think implants may be valuable in specific cases however I personally am not a fan of medpor in the nose. I typically utilize iv sedation for rhinoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastychicago.com

Medpore

+1

I have had excellent results with Medpore implants in ethnic noses. The advantage is a permanent solution that will be smooth and will not shift, resorb, or warp as cartilage sometimes does. The disadvantage of an artificial implant is a small lifetime risk of infection (about 1 in 50 patients). I prefer sedation anesthesia for less bleeding and a quicker recovery, but don't force your surgeon into using a technique he is not comfortable with.

Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.