Can African American Rhinoplasty Be Achieved with a More Nautral Ethnic Look?

I am an African American women and I wonder if doctors can recontruct more cartiladge than bone. I have seen many rhinoplasty and they seem to always narrow the nose in such an unnautral way. I saw somewhere that they can put an s shaped implant to build the bridge up. My concerns are my profile and the flatting of my nose when I smile.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

African American Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

A custom nasal implant can be fashioned to raise the bridge of your nose, this will improve your profile and decrease the widening effect when you smile. In a addition, your nostrils can be narrowed in a horizontal dimension which will also decrease the width when you smile.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.africanamericanrhinoplasty.com

Rhinoplasty: Preserving ethnic characteristics

+4
There are a number of ways to strengthen a nasal tip, essentially working primarily on the cartilaginous portion of the nose. Other techniques can be utilized to further enhance the appearance of the nose, including nostril narrowing. The attached video shows an example of how ethnic characteristics can be preserved but aesthetic features achieved.

Web reference: http://www.southfloridarhinoplasty.com/african-and-caribbean-ethnic-rhinoplasty.html

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+3

rodoz0778,

When rhinoplasty is performed today, ethnic variations should be considered and preserved.  Let's face it, a Caucasian nose does not look natural on an Asian individual.  What is crucial is to find a surgeon with experience in African-American rhinoplasty.  Not only is every nose different, every ethnicity is different.  In general, I am not a fan of nasal implants.  Your body recognizes this material as foreign.  This can work out perfectly, or it can lead to scarring and/or implant extrusion.  The best tissue is your own tissue.  If you need nasal augmentation, your own cartilage (obtained from your nasal septum or ear) will usually work well.  Above all, find someone who routinely achieves the results that your seek.  The best referral is a personal referral.  Next, check credentails and the state medical board licence records.  Finally, go with your gut.  Best of luck! 

African American Rhinoplasty Can Result in a More Natural Ethnic Look

+3

Hi Rod,

Yes, a natural ethnic result can, and should be achieved in African American rhinoplasty. You are correct in that augmentation of the nose with an implant via an external rhinoplasty approach would help to support the flattening of your nose when you smile, as well as building up the bridge of your nose.

It is most important to choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully. In the Atlanta, Ga area, William Silver, MD has a very good reputation. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

All rhinoplasties are not the same

+3

This is a very good question, and the key issue is that principles of an African-American rhinoplasty is quite different than a caucasian rhinoplasty.

You can absolutely achieve a very natural result, but you want to find a surgeon who is experienced in rhinoplasties of all types. Ask him or her to describe in detail what they see when they analyze your nose, and what their plan is to improve it.

Also, ask to see before and after pictures, and this will give you a very good idea of their approach and whether or not it is what you're looking for!

Best of luck, Dr. S

Find a surgeon who individualizes the procedure for each patient

+3

This is a great question. The most important thing is to find a surgeon who individualizes the procedure for each patient. Many surgeons have one way they approach rhinoplasty which is centered more on the caucasian nose. However, many people want a nose that matches their face and fits into their culture, rather than someone's preconceived ideas.

Depending on the amount of cartilage and bone that you have, it may be possible to use your own tissue for the reconstruction. However, sometimes, it may be required to use a small implant to build up the bridge. All of these issues would need to be evaluated during your consultation.

I hope this is helpful.

Specialist in African-American Rhinoplasty

+2

Your concerns are important. It is possible to reshape the nose and still preserve ethnic features.

It is important that you find a surgeon who is well experienced in Rhinoplasty for African Americans. Special skills and techniques are needed.

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for African American patients

+2

Yes, a surgery can be done such that the final nose has a nice, natural look. The surgeon must take care.

Normally the problems that need to be addressed include: generally the tip needs to be more defined, the nasal bones may be wide, and the actual nostrils may also be too wide. 

The tip can be raised with your own natural cartilage, and the base can be narrowed a bit with a permanent suture placed deep within the tissue. A slight reduction can be done of the nostrils and this is where care needs to be taken--if too much is removed it can make the nose look unnatural. 

Occasionally an implant can be placed on the nose. This would be used if the skin were very thick. Although an implant does have some risks associated with it.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty for African American Patients

+2

When approaching ethnic rhinoplasty patients, determining the preoperative goals and confirming the patient’s expectations is of paramount importance. The goals of ethnic rhinoplasty should therefore address the patient’s desire for preservation or alteration of ethnicity, balance of surrounding features, and adherence to patient desires.

It is possible to improve the appearance and proportion of the nose while preserving features of their ethnicity.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

African American rhinoplasty

+1
It's important to have a consultation with 2-3 surgeons that are well versed in rhinoplasty. Also important to communicate your concerns on exactly what you would like to have changed with your nose. It is Also important for the surgeon to be able to deliver the results you are asking for. In African American rhinoplasty, most of the results that are changed are the old bony and cartilaginous reshaping to give a natural appearance. Wide nostrils are narrowed with an alar plasty procedure, nasal bones are narrowed with osteotomies and the tip is narrowed with suture techniques to the lower lateral cartilages. For many examples, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty photo gallery

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/photogallery/rhinoplasty_photos24.html