Mommy Makeover for African Americans?

After only 1 pregnancy, I've looked this way for 10 yrs. It's been devastating. I'm currently 29 years old, and hope I'm a good candidate for a Mommy makeover. I've been researching procedures and really like the short scar vertical (lollipop) breast lift with silicone breast implants, but don't much see it performed on African Americans.

Also with my severe striae, will a tummy tuck help, or only add more scars? I don't expect plastic surgery to make me perfect. But can I expect good results from a Mommy makeover or in my case make matters worse. Note: I weigh 165lbs-plan to lose 30 before considering surgery.

Mommy makeover for African Americans

+5

You will be a good candiate for mommy makeover, especially after 30lbs of weight that you are planning to lose.  With breast augmentation/lift and tummy tuck/lipo of waist, you will get a good body contour.  As long as you do not have tendency to form keloid scar, your scar will heal well.  The good thing with tummy tuck in your case is that most of your striae (stretch marks) are in your lower abdomen, which will be removed from tummy tuck!  You will have a hip-to-hip scar, that can be hidden in your bikini line.  Good luck with your surgery.

Am I a GOOD Mommy Make-Over Candidate?

+4

Regarding: "Mommy Makeover for African Americans?

Also with my severe striae, will a tummy tuck help, or only add more scars? I don't expect plastic surgery to make me perfect. But can I expect good results from a Mommy makeover or in my case make matters worse. Note: I weigh 165lbs-plan to lose 30 before considering surgery."

You would do very well with a Mommy Make-Over set of operations. The operations do not ethnically dependent and are done regardless of race. The only determinant of success are having a BMI in the mid 20's and having completed one's family. The operations can be done on obese woman but the results are not as stunning as they are on thin ones such as yourself. Moreover, it makes no sense to perform these operations in between pregnancies which will undo everything - it is best to do them when you are done having children.

A Short-Scar Breast Lift is all you need. It will get you perky, full breasts without implants. A Tummy Tuck will get rid of the vast majority of the stretch marks below the belly button, narrow your waist, flatten your tummy, get rid of the indented ?C-section scar, lift a sagging Mons pubis and may even smooth some anterior thigh cellulite.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Mommy makeover for African Americans

+3

African-Americans make great candidates for a mommy makeover. As you know, a mommy makeover is a great combination of abdominal and breast surgery performed at the same time. It is best to be evaluated by an experienced surgeon who has performed the surgeries simultaneously. Discuss your concerns regarding the shape and size of the breast and abdomen and describe your aesthetic goals as fully as possible. In African-American patients, a discussion should he have regarding the size and shape of the breast and abdomen and how they will balance with each other. Also discuss the scarring process and the risk of hypertrophic scars or keloids. 

Pat Pazmino, MD

Mommy Makeover in African Americans

+3

The other plastic surgeons have made some very good comments. I would like to emphasize a few points. African Americans do have a higher incidence of keloid formation. If you have a family history of this, or if you yourself have had one, then one would have to be concerned that it might happen in the surgical scars. If there is no history, then that is a positive, but not a guarantee that you won't form one. Having said that, I have performed such surgery in many many African Americans.

Once you lose the weight, you may have enough loose skin that the lollipop scar won't be the best approach for the lift. Also, as you appear now in your picture, there is enough breast tissue that an implant is not needed -- by putting one in, the breast becomes heavier and more prone to drooping again. Once you lose the weight, that may change.

The incision for the tummy tuck is low and will be well hidden. Most, but not all of the striae will be gone once the excess skin is removed.

The bottom line is that I feel you can expect good results from a "mommy makeover". Good luck!

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover for african american

+2

You are an excellent candidate. In the Dominican Republic we work with african american womens everyday and for that we have alot of experience and excellent results in the mommy makeovers in this population.

Manuel Diaz, MD

Mommy makeover for African-Americans

+2

Yes, I do this procedure quite routinely for African-American women.  You look like a reasonable candidate for the procedures.

As always, you have to consider the trade-offs.  There will be some scars, from both the breast work and the tummy work.  If you make a reasonable quality scar, the trade-off is probably in your favor, overall.  If you are a known bad scar former (keloids & hypertrophic scars), you may feel that the trade-off is not as good.

A consultation can help you sort out these issues.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Mommy Makeover for African Americans

+2

You can definitely consider a mommy makeover.  As you have likely read, most surgeons refer to a "mommy makeover" as a series of cosmetic surgery procedures intended to restore a woman’s figure after pregnancy. I perform these procedures as part of a “mommy makeover” for patients who want an improved figure after having children. Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding can take a serious toll on a woman’s body, and many moms find that no amount of diet and exercise can restore their pre-baby figures.

Procedures commonly performed during mommy makeovers include:

Abominoplasty (tummy tuck)Breast Augmentation +/- Lift, or Breast Lift only without implants, liposuction

These procedures can be performed in one stage or multiple stages depending on the patient's goals, health status and other screening criteria. After pregnancy, breasts can lose their youthful position and shape, the tummy can become stretched and lose its tone, and extra fat may get deposited in areas that are not so flattering. The plastic surgery procedures above are intended to correct those conditions and help restore your pre-pregnancy figure.

A common concern many of my african american patients have is scarring - namely, keloid scars.  If you have not experienced any keloiding from prior surgeries, it is unlikely you will experience it now.  However, with any contouring procedures, you must accept some degree of scar to achieve that better form.  

Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover

+2

From the photo you have posted it looks like you would be an excellent mommy makeover candidate.  It is very wise of you to lose the weight before undergoing surgery because that will award you the best results.  The amount of scarring depends on your individual healing response; the thickness and quality of scars you have developed in the past (from previous surgeries or injuries).  In African Americans receiving a breast lift or reduction there is also a small chance of hypopigmented areas, or white patches, occuring in the areola which can be treated with medical grade tattooing.  Although rare, it is something to discuss with your plastic surgeon. Good luck with your decision.

Neil J Zemmel, MD

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover in African American patient

+2

Most patients with darker skin coloring tend to have slightly darker scars, in general.  However, the scars on the breast usually heal quite well due to the thin skin-even in African American patients.  The abdominal skin which is much thicker, tends to heal slightly darker in almost all patients.  Based on the photos you provided, you appear to be a reasonable candidate for a tummy tuck. Once you lose the weight you plan to lose, you will be an even better candidate and likely have a better result.  As you lose weight your breast size may change which could affect the type of breast lift and/or implant size you need.  Please be sure to have medical clearance from your primary care physician prior to scheduling this "mommy makeover" procedure.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Good candidate for a Mommy Makeover

+2

Based on the picture you provided, you are an excellent candidate for a mommy makeover. Since you are planning to lose weight prior to surgery, you will have an amazing result. It is clear that you have been doing your research. The best advice would be to make sure you are finished having children and that you find a board certified plastic surgeon to perform your surgery safely. I have many African American patients who benefit significantly from plastic surgery. For more information, go to my website and check out before and after photos of patients. Good luck!