I Am an African American Male and I Have Very Coarse Skin.

Its very dry, dull, and uneven. What are some things I could do in order to revitalize my skin.

What to do about coarse dry skin

+2

The first thing to do is to make sure there is no thyroid disease or other internal causes of coarse, dry skin.  If there are no internal causes, I would look for other things that can make the skin coarse, such as acne and particularly acne scarring, seborrheic dermatitis, chronic sun damage, psoriaisis and a number of other causes.

Each one of these has particular treatments.  I recommend consulting a board certified dermatologist for a more definitive diagnosis and treatment.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Coarse skin

+2

A dermatologic exam would be the first thing you should do to see if there is an underlying medical problem leading to these changes in your skin. You dermatologist can then recommend products/medication to help you.

Germantown Dermatologist

Treatment for Dull and Uneven Skin

+1

If you have no underlying medical conditions causing your coarse, dry skin, then tretinoin cream with an Obagi Nu-Derm system would be a great treatment to consider. Unlike the unsubstantiated claims made by over-the-counter skin care products, Obagi Medical Systems claims are backed by real research. The Obagi-Nu Derm System is clinically proven to visibly lighten age spots, fine lines and wrinkles and increased pigmentation. The texture and appearance of your skin is improved on a daily basis. Two prescription-only products are used in the Obagi Nu-Derm system: tretinoin cream and 4% hydroquinone cream. With continued use, the Obagi Nu-Derm system will also help to prevent future skin damage.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/obagi-medical-systems/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon