I Am African American with Large Aerolas and a History of Keloids, Could I Get a Breast Lift?

History of Keloids, could I get a breast lift?

+1

Having a history of keloid scars does place you at greater risk of forming keloid scars after a  breast lift. A breast lift may performed placing scars in different locations and varying the length of the scars. In my practice, I use a scar control therapy after every surgery to prevent keloid and treat them when they do form. But I would rather prevent them. Please discuss these concerns with your plastic surgeon and ask about experience treating keloids and the best type of breast lift for you.

Montclair Plastic Surgeon

+1

If you are going to pursue a breast lift, make sure your plastic surgeon is an expert at both breast lifts and scars and scar revisions.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts and each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

History of keloids

+1

First, be sure that what you refer to as keloids are really keloids. By definition this means the scar overgrows the area of injury. Many scars called keloids by patients, and even some doctors, are not keloids but merely hypertrophic scars. These can be treated to minimized to a certain extent. At any rate, in your mind you have to accept the trade off a visible scar with whatever improvement in shape or size your surgery produces. You really cannot expect a scarless result so picture a visible scar and ask yourself if the change in your breast will make you happier.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

No way to predict keloid scarring

+1

If you have a history of keloid scarring then there is always a chance that you will develop keloid scars around the areola and breasts following any surgery.  

+1

Having had keloids increases your risk of future abnormal scarring. You can find picture on the web of breast incisions with keloids, and you should look at those before decision about a breast lift. Many keloids can be treated, but not necessarily avoided. 

All the best.

Risks of keloid scars with Breast lift and a history of keloid?

+1

Thank you for your question.  Keloid is usually a genetic issue and it is likely that you will form keloids again.  It does not prevent you from having a #breastlift (mastopexy) but you have to be ready to accept the thick and perhaps darker scars.  Keloids can be helped a bit with cortisone injection yet, there is a risk of hypopigmentation in darker skin.  So it is not an easy decision for you to take and you have to make sure you weigh the pros and cons.  Good luck!  Royal College-certified plastic surgeon, Toronto Dr. Marc DuPere  416.929.9800

Marc DuPéré, MD

Breast lift in keloiding patient

+1
It is possible for you to have a breast lift, understanding the risks as to the scarring. Every area of the body can heal differently; I have had many patients with significant earlobe keloids who have not produced keloids in other surgical scars. It would be important, from the onset, to treat you at the first sight of keloiding and the followup may be quite lengthy. The areolae tend to heal either beautifully, with barely a visible scar, or poorly. However, this is individualized. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation and evaluation of your existing scars. I often find that patients confuse hypertrophy with keloidal formation; these are very different types of scarring issues.

Robert L. Kraft, MD