Although Im Not African American but Should I Go for an African American Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I have a very wide nose and its particularly repulsive to people when i smile as it gets even wider. What would you suggest? Thanks, awaiting reply

African American Rhinoplasty for the Non African American

+1

African American Rhinoplasty is a term used to describe rhinoplasty performed on patients of African American Rhinoplasty.  There are many different techniques used on patients who are African American depending on their aesthetic complaint.  Consider speaking with a surgeon who is experienced in ethnic noses to help determine a favorable aesthetic for your ethnicity and your goals.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Narrowing the wide nose

+1

Widely flared nostrils can be successfully corrected with surgery. If there are any other features of your nose that you wish to be improved at the same time it could balance your nose even more and create a more pleasing shape for you. Working with a nasal surgeon who understands your goals will make the whole process likely to be successful. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Need for African-American Rhinoplasty

+1

Your picture shows a wide nasal base which is frequently seen in African American noses. An experienced surgeon who does specialize in rhinoplasty surgery will narrow your base and make whatever other changes are necessary to achieve a natural result.

Rhinoplasty

+1

A rhinoplasty specifially treating the lower third of our nose may be the right thing for you if you are bothered by the width. 

African or ethnic rhinoplasty details and concerns

+1

You should definitley see a plastic and reconstructive surgeon with experience in ethnic rhinoplasty.  Usually these are surgeons who have additional craniofacial training.  In my opinion you shoould avoid an 'open approach' where the columella is cut.  This will lead to unfavorable scarring and longer recovery, but even more impotantly it will obscure the columeel/tip relationship.  More important than the width of your nose are the structural features that create this appearance.  Your nose widens and flattens because of insufficient tip and dorsal support.  A stronger framework must be crateed to support your nose and create a more aesthetic appearance.  A closed technique(leaving the columella intact) is very imp[ortant because it allows the surgeon to evaluate these relationships accurately intraoperatively and allows preservation of robust blood supply.  A closed approach does not limit visualization and leads to much better results in my experience.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Wide Nostrils

+1

Hi,

Although you are not African American, you may want to see surgeon that have experience with African American like noses or nostril reduction. The two charachteristics of your nose are the intra- alar distance and nasal flaring which should both be addressed. See link below for further explanation.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS