How Can I Fix A Bad Rhinoplasty?

I am an Africian Americam female that "5" years ago I had rhinoplasty that went terribly wrong. I am left with a deep zig zag cut under my nose and on the sides of my nose I have deep scarring. You can also see the embedded stitch marks. Help, is there anything I can do?

Secondary rhinoplasty

+2

The best result from most surgery comes from the first operation.  Revisions are rarely better than if the first one went perfectly.  That being said, you need to go to an expert in "revision rhinoplasty" and "ethnic rhinoplasty" to consider what can be done.  You might need to go national to get the best if there isn't one in your area.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

The closures of the incisions from an open rhinoplasty and alar base reduction have to be performed in very meticulous fashion.  I have found that there are essentially two reasons that can be controlled to prevent unsightly scars from open rhinoplasty and base reduction incisions: the exact placement of the incisions and the careful attention to the closure.  When performing revision rhinoplasties, I see incisions that were placed either too high or too low along the bottom of the nose making them more visible.  The incision along the bottom of the nose should vary slightly from patient to patient and should be carefully planned in a manner that it is least visible from the front view.  Closure of the incisions is crucial— there needs to be careful alignment of the skin edges.  I perform closure of the skin edges with a very fine suture to prevent suture marks.  Lastly, which is not within anyone’s control, is how your skin heals.  Although the exact placement of your scars cannot be changed, they can be re-excised and closed in a manner as described.  This will at least help with the appearance of the incisions.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Most likely there can be a significant improvement to the appearance of your nose.  I strongly suggest you seek out a surgeon experienced with revision procedures, one who inspires confidence.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

How can I fix a bad rhinoplasty?

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. Photos would really be necessary to provide you with the best advice, but there are options to help improve the appearance of your scars. I would recommend seeking the advice of a board certified revision rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will be able to examine your nose in person and provide you with recommendations. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Black Rhinoplasty Scarring

+1

Are you happy with the shape of your nose or is it the scarring

Depending where the scarring is, it will govern what needs to be done.

Can you send photos

David Ellis

Toronto facial Plastic Surgeon

Art of Facial Surgery

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing bad scars from rhinoplasty surgery - revision rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

I would begin your revision rhinoplasty by correcting some of the abnormal scarring in the area with IIT and laser. This will minimize the need for further surgery.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Need Help? Seek Consultation for Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Help is almost certainly available for the skin irregularities you describe, so don't despair. Seek a surgeon in your area that specializes in noses- rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty in particular. Read what others are saying about him/her. He/she can examine you, give you an idea of what might make your nose look more the way you think it should, and undo some of the unsightly scarring it sounds like you've encountered. Improvement might come in the form of scar revision, dermabrasion, or even complete revision depending on how the rest of your nose looks and what your goals are. Best of luck!  -Dr. Capone

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing bad rhinoplasty

+1

It's hard to say what your options are without seeing your nose. It sounds like your big issues are your scars. It may be possible to revise these. This can include excising the old scar and re-closing the area and/or scar dermabrasion.

You should visit with a rhinoplasty surgeon who's experienced in performing ethnic rhinoplasty to help maximize your results.

You can check out my web reference link below to read more about rhinoplasty in patient's of color and to see photos of post-operative results.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD